Why become a member? ×

Jaydee Series III for sale on ebay

Mowac

Here's that Jaydee Series III that is in the U.S. that is once again on Ebay. The price isn't all that bad. It's missing the pickup selector knob and one of the bridge saddles. The neck has had a re-fret job. No dings that I could see from the photos. Link is below if anyone is interested. It is definately a good candidate for anyone that cares to have a Jaydee refurbed instead having a new one built and at half the price of a new one. It's got a few paint issues but the bass can be refinished. A decent investment IMO.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Jaydee-Mark-King-II-Supernatural-bass-Case-Jay-Dee-JD_W0QQitemZ270452144930QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3ef8343b22&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.com/Jaydee-Mark-King-II-Su...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

Edited by Mowac

I bought a Jaydee years ago at the Bass Centre..I saved a long time to have one but when I had it, it was absolutely nothing but trouble. I know about the Mark King-hype at the time and there were inferior basses made but I still think that this is a disgrace and a quality-check should be obvious for every bass for every customer. Just think of someone who worked hard to get his dream bass and it turns out to be horror..
I had a lot of trouble with the neck which would twist within half an hour (took it to a bass-shop and when I came back home it had moved already). I tried everything, send it back to John Diggins (it got lost, came back severly damaged). Problems continued, had a refret job done but this just meant that the upper octave wasn't useable anymore..
No more Jaydees with refret jobs for me..

[quote name='Mowac' post='591173' date='Sep 6 2009, 05:41 AM']Here's that Jaydee Series III that is in the U.S. that is once again on Ebay. The price isn't all that bad. It's missing the pickup selector knob and one of the bridge saddles. The neck has had a re-fret job. No dings that I could see from the photos. Link is below if anyone is interested. It is definately a good candidate for anyone that cares to have a Jaydee refurbed instead having a new one built and at half the price of a new one. It's got a few paint issues but the bass can be refinished. A decent investment IMO.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Jaydee-Mark-King-II-Supernatural-bass-Case-Jay-Dee-JD_W0QQitemZ270452144930QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3ef8343b22&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.com/Jaydee-Mark-King-II-Su...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url][/quote]

MB1. :)
...That colours Vomit! :rolleyes:

[quote name='MB1' post='592169' date='Sep 7 2009, 10:41 AM']MB1. :)
...That colours Vomit! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Yeah.....especially where the paint was peeling which leads me to believe that it may not be an original Jaydee paint job. I haven't seen any other Jaydees paint jobs peel like that.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='592135' date='Sep 7 2009, 09:48 AM']I bought a Jaydee years ago at the Bass Centre..I saved a long time to have one but when I had it, it was absolutely nothing but trouble. I know about the Mark King-hype at the time and there were inferior basses made but I still think that this is a disgrace and a quality-check should be obvious for every bass for every customer. Just think of someone who worked hard to get his dream bass and it turns out to be horror..
I had a lot of trouble with the neck which would twist within half an hour (took it to a bass-shop and when I came back home it had moved already). I tried everything, send it back to John Diggins (it got lost, came back severly damaged). Problems continued, had a refret job done but this just meant that the upper octave wasn't useable anymore..
No more Jaydees with refret jobs for me..[/quote]
A re-fret job is as only as good as the repair guy doing the actual work. If he truly is competent and knows what he's doing, then you shouldn't have problems like that. I had my MKII refretted by a gentleman luthier that I trust only because the frets had to be removed to repair the neck which had a high spot on the fingerboard at the 4th fret and that had to be sanded down flush with the rest of the fingerboard.

I feel very fortunate to have a friend who is considered as the best bass repairman in our country...I showed him the Jaydee, he sighed and said that he could try to do a refret job but that at the beginning of the neck it was curled in an impossible way. He sanded down the neck, did a refret but it didn't help. Was one of the few occasions in which he couldn't help me. I've owned over 100 basses during the last 25 years but I felt really bad when I had to sell the Jaydee because I like to have satisfied customers. The new owner failed to try the upper register, otherwise I would never have gotten rid of it.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='592245' date='Sep 7 2009, 12:11 PM']I've owned over 100 basses during the last 25 years but I felt really bad when I had to sell the Jaydee because I like to have satisfied customers. The new owner failed to try the upper register, otherwise I would never have gotten rid of it.[/quote]

Hmm, remind me never to buy a bass off of you!

[quote name='Mowac' post='592177' date='Sep 7 2009, 03:50 PM']Yeah.....especially where the paint was peeling which leads me to believe that it may not be an original Jaydee paint job. I haven't seen any other Jaydees paint jobs peel like that.[/quote]

I mentioned this bass to John last time I was over at the workshop and he recalls the `pearl champagne' colour so it is an original JD finish. Mark Kings pearl pink bass had a similar loss of paint round the strap button - I would assume the damage is perhaps due to negligence on part of the owner!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='595222' date='Sep 10 2009, 06:11 PM']I mentioned this bass to John last time I was over at the workshop and he recalls the `pearl champagne' colour so it is an original JD finish. Mark Kings pearl pink bass had a similar loss of paint round the strap button - I would assume the damage is perhaps due to negligence on part of the owner![/quote]
'Pearl Champagne' color?.....I learn something new everyday on here. Thanks for the heads-up Doc.