Why become a member? ×

Crackling - comes and goes

Marvin

I've got an Ibanez SR300.
The pot for boosting or cutting the bass is shared with that for the treble. (apologies to all those who know that already)
Especially if I haven't played for a couple of days when I adjust the bass it crackles, but not the treble (or any other pots).
However, if I give the jack a shove (couldn't think of a better word I'm afraid) it stops doing it. But then it will start again at random.
I've got to say I'm a little confused as to what may be going on, anyone got any ideas?

Edited by RichB

The best advice would be -

1. Check/replace the battery

2. Open the control cavity and squirt a little cleaner (e.g. Super Servisol) into the open part of all the pots - use the "drinking straw" attachment on the cleaner to accurately spray it inside the pots.

3. Spray some cleaner on a jack plug and insert this into the input jack on the guitar, then turn the jack plug around to spread the cleaner over the jack contacts.

That will cure most simple problems.

[quote name='BOD2' post='588415' date='Sep 3 2009, 11:12 AM']The best advice would be -

1. Check/replace the battery

2. Open the control cavity and squirt a little cleaner (e.g. Super Servisol) into the open part of all the pots - use the "drinking straw" attachment on the cleaner to accurately spray it inside the pots.

3. Spray some cleaner on a jack plug and insert this into the input jack on the guitar, then turn the jack plug around to spread the cleaner over the jack contacts.

That will cure most simple problems.[/quote]

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go. I assume Super Servisol is available at most music stores.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='588506' date='Sep 3 2009, 12:26 PM']Ah, so olive oil and salt and having the oven on 475F for the first 20 minutes is not the correct answer, then?[/quote]

And thanks for the recipe, we were struggling to think what to have tomorrow. :)