Why become a member? ×

Compresser Help?

JBassist

i know theres a forum about this but its to technical for me

so basically ive got a behringer compresser sustainer and was wondering what settings i can out it on to get a level volume for fingerstyle slapping and tapping

theses are the controls

Level Tone Attack Sustain

(0) (0) (0) (0)

?

Edited by JBassist

oh boy....

too many variables to jsut say "do this"

For instance level going into the device, difference in volume between styles from your fingers etc etc.

However if you want to transparently level something you need to go along the lines of:-

very very short attack

long release

low ratio (2:1 ish)

low threshold (so its always compressing.

Open up the attack for more of the initial transient to get through. Shorten the release such that the compression fades out with the sustain of the bass to allow the next transient through.

PLay with the above for a good log while!

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='587642' date='Sep 2 2009, 04:34 PM']This represents the approximate time taken to have a really good poo[/quote]

[quote name='51m0n' post='587657' date='Sep 2 2009, 04:43 PM']:lol:

That can be a considerable time![/quote]

The above involves compression...of a sort... It could even be described in terms of:
Attack :rolleyes:
Compression :)
Threshold :lol: and
Release :lol:

:lol:

[quote name='JBassist' post='587562' date='Sep 2 2009, 03:09 PM']i know theres a forum about this but its to technical for me...[/quote]

Hi, yeah it took me a while to get my head around compressors. I take it you've read the guide here on BC which is excellent, but sometimes it helps to have things explained by someone else's perspective. Have a look through [b][url="http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml"]this guide[/url][/b] which is written by a guy known on TalkBass as Bongomania, he's a compression afficionado and his website also has some excellent compressor reviews.

Regards,
Steve.

Compressors iron out those notes that occassionally boom, so you never really notice them working. I just have a little compression on my amp always on. It does affect your tone, but it also keeps things like my pedals in check, so, for example, my bass micro synth gets louder as it gets lower (as I like extra bass on my pedals so it gets louder), and it just quietens the pedal down a bit and levels it out. If I had the money I'd put each pedal in it's own bypass loop with a compressor/limiter for each pedal to tune it for each pedal.

But I'm fresh outa cash :)

[quote name='Golchen' post='589003' date='Sep 3 2009, 07:11 PM']I don't get compressors??? Forgive my ignorance but it just seems like a nuance remover?[/quote]

You might think that but in fact a properly set up compressor is the opposite.

If you play your accents 3dB louder than your normal playing, and your nuances and ghosts are quieter by 3dB then in all likelihood the audience wont hear the nuances very well because they are too quiet, and the guitarist/vocalist will ask you to turn down cos your accents are too loud.

A compressor lets you play with the same feel under your fingers but allows the audience to hear the quietest bits (although psychoacoustically they will seem quiet still due to difference in attack, timbre etc as you plucked softer) whilst taming the loudest accents to the delight of your band.

Nothing stops you playing with dynamics like trying to be heard.

Nothing stops you playing quieter with a compressor, its a fallacy.