Why become a member? ×

First fret buzz

AxelF

I've just changed the strings on a P bass I have, and switched to flats (it's used solely for Motown) and a heavier gauge. It sounds fantastic, apart from the open A string, which now buzzes against the first fret. It's absolutely fine from the Bb upwards, and I'm fairly sure I can see/hear it hitting the first fret so I'm almost certain it's the first fret that's the problem. I'm guessing that it's the heavier gauge causing the issue - I've tried raising the action with no success, what can I do to solve the problem? Is it a case of needing a new nut? Thanks in advance...

Axel

A buzz on the open string can also indicate insufficient wrap around the post leaving the string to vibrate behind the nut - try holding it down between nut and post while you strike the open note and if this makes the buzz disappear your answer is to re-string leaving more wraps around the post or you may get away with simply holding the wrap-around low enough during re-tightening of the existing string.

Thanks for the replies guys, have to put my hands up here and admit to the old operator error.... Hadn't wound the string round the post properly when restringing, and slackening and redoing it properly seems to have cured the problem. Thanks for the baking soda and superglue trick though, never heard of that so I've learned two new things today! Thanks again,

Axel

[quote name='AxelF' post='587079' date='Sep 2 2009, 12:36 AM']Thanks for the replies guys, have to put my hands up here and admit to the old operator error.... Hadn't wound the string round the post properly when restringing, and slackening and redoing it properly seems to have cured the problem. Thanks for the baking soda and superglue trick though, never heard of that so I've learned two new things today! Thanks again,

Axel[/quote]

i have always throught an A washer was in order on fenders

Isn't that one of the common criticisms of P's and J's, that due to the lack of pressure on the A-string going over the nut, that the A sometimes rattled or lost definition? I always try to wind on a bit more on the A, and force the windings downward so the final wrap sits at the bottom, next to the headstock, so the break-angle can be maximised.
Some of those fluted or conical machine head winders might be useful there to help keep the string windings nestled at the base of the shaft.