Why become a member? ×

Best place to buy a brass nut from?

attackbass

Hey,

I'm on a mission to make my Lakland Bob Glaub playable live. Had various action problems with this bass, taken it to a tech once already and still my issue with the bass haven't been solved - but i'm not one for giving up, so have decided to sort out the problem myself.

I've already done the truss rod and action myself, the tech I had gone to had set the neck so that it was bang on straight, great if you play softly but clank central if you dig in.

I need to change the nut as it's been cut way to low, despite my local tech raising the nut already, it still isn't high enough on the a string for the way I play. So i'm think of getting a brass nut, but not sure if there's any difference from one brass nut to another - is brass just brass. I want to get as much attack/sustain from the bass as possible. Where are the best places to get these from?

Next stop is to swap the lakland pickup out for a SD QRTR POUNDER - the pickup in it is too much vintage thump - sound lovely through my phil jones briefcase playing mellow stuff but I need a more modern gnarly p tone for my band

I know some people will think I'm mad for making these changes, and there is nothing wrong with any other lakland i've ever played and apart with the problem with a string really the finish and feel of the bass is lovely, and it's nice to play gently - I just need to make it more into a rock beast!

[quote name='attackbass' post='584601' date='Aug 29 2009, 04:31 PM']Hey,

I'm on a mission to make my Lakland Bob Glaub playable live. Had various action problems with this bass, taken it to a tech once already and still my issue with the bass haven't been solved - but i'm not one for giving up, so have decided to sort out the problem myself.

I've already done the truss rod and action myself, the tech I had gone to had set the neck so that it was bang on straight, great if you play softly but clank central if you dig in.

I need to change the nut as it's been cut way to low, despite my local tech raising the nut already, it still isn't high enough on the a string for the way I play. So i'm think of getting a brass nut, but not sure if there's any difference from one brass nut to another - is brass just brass. I want to get as much attack/sustain from the bass as possible. Where are the best places to get these from?

Next stop is to swap the lakland pickup out for a SD QRTR POUNDER - the pickup in it is too much vintage thump - sound lovely through my phil jones briefcase playing mellow stuff but I need a more modern gnarly p tone for my band

I know some people will think I'm mad for making these changes, and there is nothing wrong with any other lakland i've ever played and apart with the problem with a string really the finish and feel of the bass is lovely, and it's nice to play gently - I just need to make it more into a rock beast![/quote]
They sell them here ( Postage is included )

[url="http://www.axesrus.com/axeNuts.htm"]http://www.axesrus.com/axeNuts.htm[/url]

You will have to check they fit sizewise!

Will.

Edited by 2x18