Why become a member? ×

Low end acoustic basses - Lindo?

Miss Rosie

Hello there,

I'm hoping someone more in the know might be able to help - I'm looking for an inexpensive acoustic bass - for a hundred pounds or under - obviously I know I'm not going to get anything spectacular sound wise at this price - all I'm really concerned about is a cut away and a nice easy action for a beginner. Has anyone ever come across a Lindo acoustic bass? are they playable?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Rosie xxx

In my experience/opinion any of these cheap acoustics will put off all but the most determined beginner. Also if you're going for an acoustic to negate the need to buy an amplifier then you're might be disappointed because these smaller bodied inexpensive acoustic basses do not project sound particularly well.

on amazon at £99

i havent had an electro/acoustic but from what i have been told...playing acoustically is really not a good option against other amplified instruments
so what might be the real consideration is the sound via the electro part...this could be the let down

from what i have learnt the better acoustics are more highly priced to get good sound from them and i suspect the electrics equally are of a better quality

good luck

and WELCOME!!..musnt forget our manners

cheers

[quote name='mrcrow' post='583561' date='Aug 28 2009, 02:08 PM']

on amazon at £99

i havent had an electro/acoustic but from what i have been told...playing acoustically is really not a good option against other amplified instruments
so what might be the real consideration is the sound via the electro part...this could be the let down

from what i have learnt the better acoustics are more highly priced to get good sound from them and i suspect the electrics equally are of a better quality

good luck

and WELCOME!!..musnt forget our manners

cheers[/quote]

Thanks McCrow and Neepheid for your thoughts (and the welcome :)) - yes I know what you mean about unplugged basses and how they sound actually unplugged - they rarely cut through when playing with other instruments do they. I think you would always need a little amp when everything else is totally unplugged. It's not so much to save on a bass amp, more that it would be played with other acoustic, folky instruments so it would be more in keeping with the overall group. Perhaps I will also look out for a better quality second hand one.

+1 on the previous comments. From looking at acoustic basses they all seem to need a relatively high action to get any sort of decent sound. A solid body with a natural wood finish might still be in keeping with the overall look for the band - something to consider, especially if you were thinking of having an amp anyway.