Why become a member? ×

Bow options to compensate for a disability

padmavyuha

Being new to this game, I don't know whether this is a ridiculous question or not...

I'm missing a few muscles in my right shoulder/arm and the arm's a little shorter than the left. I tried French and German bows in a shop recently, and what I found is:

French bow - hard to grip, easier to play with at the tip end, less stretch needed

German bow - easy to grip, harder to play with at the tip end, too much stretch needed

(The 'harder/easier to play with at the tip end' thing stems from lack of the normal muscles to apply pressure with.) So I'm wondering: can one get extra long German bows easily? And does the end weight vary a lot? I have this idea that the ideal bow for me would be a German (for the grip), with a heavier tip end (for help with bowing at that end? would that actually help?) and longer than usual (to overcome my lack of reach).

This is where you bowers come in - does any of this sound like it makes sense to you, or am I missing the point with bow design? I'm about to start lessons, but the teacher I've found is a jazzo who doesn't use bow much anyway, so he's not going to be much help here. I am keen to bow to the extent of my ability, so I need to get myself a bow that will compensate best for my disability. If a custom bow is going to be the only answer, I have an archetier friend in Ireland who might cut me a deal...

Comments?

This is a difficult one to answer because bows, both German and French, come in a variety of lengths and weights and really the only way forward is to try lots of different ones till you find one that suits. Having said that, if you have not yet developed the technique required for good bowing, its almost impossible for you to judge !

I would suggest finding a good pro symphony player and have a one off lesson from him/her just on this bowing question.

Personally, I use French bows and have several, all on the heavier side, my favourite being a Paesold that I paid about £150 for several years ago. You can pay many thousands for bows (and I've tried many horribly expensive ones) but in the end you need to get something that suits you.

As far as "grip" is concerned, it really is a question of practice and developing the muscles in the right hand. I've recently made a small adjustment to my grip having watched closely how Tom Martin plays. He came as guest Principal recently to the BBC orch I play with.
This has made a big difference to my sound, but at first I was getting spasms in my thumb which have now receded with practice.

Incidentally its well worth looking at Tom Martin's website. Apart from being one of the best players in the world, he also has a company that makes basses. thomasmartin.co.uk

The Major

Edited by Major-Minor

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='582287' date='Aug 27 2009, 11:22 AM']I don't usually post here, but that suprises me, why is that?[/quote]
Good question ! After all its only a stick of wood with some horse hair strung across it.
But as with everything, its down to the quality of the materials, quality of the workmanship and also in some cases antique value.
A really good bow needs just the right balance for off the string playing, but also the right weight to get the best and most controlled sound.

A really old bow from the 18th or 19th century like a Tourte for instance will fetch a big price just because of the name and age. But a bow like this will probably (but not necessarily) be made by the finest craftsmen of the day and have that something special in the hands of a good player.

I only have one expensive bow. I paid £1000 for it a few years ago. Its nice but I still prefer my £150 Paesold.

The Major

I've just remembered a good bass bow story I heard recently:
A well known Principal bass in a UK orch had a bow made at great expense with a diamond set into the end of the winder. Apparently he wafted his bow around in the orchestra to ensure that everybody was aware of his new aquisition. The rest of the bass section were somewhat amused by this vanity and procured some glass "jewels" from the local Hobby Shop and stuck them on their bows and wafted them around so everybody could see them. All very childish ! But then we bass players often are ......

The Major

Cute! I can live without diamonds (though an emerald might be nice...)

thanks for the comments. I'm up in Edinburgh this weekend, so I'm going tocvisit the Violn Shop In Glasgow to get some hands-on advice and try out a few bows. It did seem to me that a French bow was easier for me to control, if I can find a way to hold it that doesn't overstrain what muscles I do have in my hand. I tried learnng cello about 15 years ago but the bowing hurt too much - but paradoxically my hand is a lot stronger now than it was then, and I'm continuing to exercise it. I've no way of telling how much of the discomfort I experience with a French bow is just what everyone gets when they first start playing!

If you're in Edinburgh anyway might be worth giving [url="http://www.stringersmusic.com/"]Stringers[/url] a shout and see if they have anything in stock. Last I checked they were quite close to the bus station in Edinburgh, although I would probably call first as they don't hold that much DB stock. I think they try and be a bit more "up-market" than the Violin Shop, in a typically Edinburgh fashion :snob:

Went to Glasgow, got a French bow, sort of middle weight brazilwood job. It'll certainly do until I know enough to know what would suit me better. On the balance, the French one seems to give me more control, and an unorthodox grip means it doesn't hurt too much. Picking up my actual bass tomorrow!