Why become a member? ×

woodworking advice needed

steve

I just acquired a zebrano neck, which had some broken screws and drill bits stuck in the heel, i've got them out using a hole drill, but I don't know whether the choice of wood to fill them is critical or will any old dowel do. Any advice or experiences would be great

ta

[quote name='neepheid' post='581965' date='Aug 26 2009, 10:27 PM']If you won't see it afterwards then any hardwood dowel will do. Must be hardwood though, if you use a pine/softwood dowel then drilling/screwing might get skewed due to following the path of least resistance.[/quote]

ta muchly, :)

Steve, if you want some pieces of Zebrano I have some offcuts still in the garage from a bass build I put together last year. Might be tricky to match up though as the pattern of grain is so linear. If its not in a visible area then neepheid's advice.

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='582023' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:24 PM']Steve, if you want some pieces of Zebrano I have some offcuts still in the garage from a bass build I put together last year. Might be tricky to match up though as the pattern of grain is so linear. If its not in a visible area then neepheid's advice.[/quote]

Cheers Alan, the holes are in the neck heel and not visible, so I'll manage with what I've got lying around.

BTW, I sent those jumper sockets, should be with you tomorrow

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='582118' date='Aug 27 2009, 07:49 AM']Thta's great - many thanks!- Can I paypal you some money or you want a littel PCB to play with?[/quote]

I think I'll have one of your wonderful pcb's pls Al - I'll send you a pm later - I have something in mind but need to check a few details first.

[quote name='steve' post='582681' date='Aug 27 2009, 05:24 PM']I would prefer to use some bog standard wood glue (the white pva type stuff that dries clear) is there any reason why I shouldn't?[/quote]

No reason - it's "stronger than the wood itself". It's what I use when I'm plugging old screw holes.