Why become a member? ×

Any one played the Zenith in Islington?

Linus27

I've never heard of the place either.

The thing to bear in mind about gigs in London is that it's not so much the venue that you have to watch for, but the promoter. Very few venues do in house promotion and even those that do usually have outside promoters on certain nights. It's also worth remembering that few places have a walk up audience - those that do tend to be club nights that have a bit of a buzz to them.

Given the review above and the fact that no one seems to have heard of the place it might seem that the only people you'll be playing to are the people the bands bring along themselves. But who knows - maybe the promoter has been busy cultivating a thriving little scene.

[quote name='Musky' post='585624' date='Aug 31 2009, 09:55 AM']I've never heard of the place either.

The thing to bear in mind about gigs in London is that it's not so much the venue that you have to watch for, but the promoter. Very few venues do in house promotion and even those that do usually have outside promoters on certain nights. It's also worth remembering that few places have a walk up audience - those that do tend to be club nights that have a bit of a buzz to them.

Given the review above and the fact that no one seems to have heard of the place it might seem that the only people you'll be playing to are the people the bands bring along themselves. But who knows - maybe the promoter has been busy cultivating a thriving little scene.[/quote]
+1

[quote name='dangerboy' post='586052' date='Aug 31 2009, 08:45 PM']You tell us the promoter and we'll tell you if it's a good idea. Lots of 'red flag' names to watch out for![/quote]

I'm not sure what the promotors name is as our guitarist was looking into the gigs but the nights is down as Club Fabulous‏.

[url="http://www.ranasinghe.clara.co.uk/"]http://www.ranasinghe.clara.co.uk/[/url]

Edited by Linus27

I reckon you'll just be playing to your mates, then. Looking at some of their previous gigs, it's hard to see much curation to get bands that work together (in order to build a crowd that stays to watch all the bands). Here's a typical line-up:

XYM aka Da Yorkshire Rapper
(hip hop artist with a Yorkshire flavour)
Outcry
(pop)
Tranquilizers
(fragmented pop with depth and energy)
Tarantula
(dub Reggae/Hardcore)

[quote name='dangerboy' post='586232' date='Sep 1 2009, 08:48 AM']I reckon you'll just be playing to your mates, then. Looking at some of their previous gigs, it's hard to see much curation to get bands that work together (in order to build a crowd that stays to watch all the bands). Here's a typical line-up:

XYM aka Da Yorkshire Rapper
(hip hop artist with a Yorkshire flavour)
Outcry
(pop)
Tranquilizers
(fragmented pop with depth and energy)
Tarantula
(dub Reggae/Hardcore)[/quote]

Thanks Dangerboy for your help. I think your right and we'll give it a miss.

I wouldn't rule it out completely. I like to play the odd gig like this, to tighten up our live performance, to meet new people, and because I quite like antagonising people who weren't expecting a band like mine.

I guess the important thing is to manage your expectations accordingly.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='586420' date='Sep 1 2009, 12:18 PM']I wouldn't rule it out completely. I like to play the odd gig like this, to tighten up our live performance, to meet new people, and because I quite like antagonising people who weren't expecting a band like mine.

I guess the important thing is to manage your expectations accordingly.[/quote]
+1 again. Huge difference between thoughtful promotion and "promotion", if you catch my drift.

Edited by Weird War