Why become a member? ×

Fender American Standard Jazz Bass

JHBASS

My current workhorse....shes done every gig with me, and has never let me down!

[u]Price paid:[/u] £ 769

[u]Purchased from:[/u] GAK

[u]Features:[/u] The new American Standard Jazz Bass, is a bass that's needed to be played, to be believed. Brand new for 2008, the New Jazz (and it's Precision Sister), launch Leo Fenders Designs into modern day times. Made in the USA, this bass features 20 medium jumbo frets, a beatiful traditional Jazz-thin maple neck, with a satin finish. The fretboard comes in either maple or rosewood, and is in a gloss finish as well as the headstock. You have your classic J-Bass body, and a new thinner finish on the paint, giving a lighter instrument. The bridge, can either be as a conventional jazz bass bridge, or now strung-thru the body, giving great sustain.The bass has the standard 2 J-Bass Pickups, and 2 volume, and 1 tone control. The tuners have the 'elephant ear' design, but they have been modified to also reduce weight. A new lockable hard case comes with the bass, which also includes a cloth, strap, and a cable (and of course a manual, and truss rod tool). [u]Rating:[/u] 10

[u]Sound:[/u] Everybody knows what Jazz Basses sound like. This continues that classic sound, as well as continuing the versatility. Sounds great through any bass amp, and complements my 12" Ashdown Blue 180 combo in a mellow way. [u]Rating:[/u] 9

[u]Action, Fit & Finish:[/u] Not much to say on this subject. The bass was ready to play, out of the case, with no imperfections on the instrument it's self. The bass came with full protection on parts like the stratchplate and tuners. The action was fine, infact I havent changed it since. Nice a fast playing. My bass is in the Olympic White finish with a Tortoise Shell Pickguard, and I found no blemishes or damage to the finish. [u]Rating:[/u] 9

[u]Reliability & Durability:[/u] I have gigged with this bass numerous times now, and she has not let me down. The hardware feels secure, and stays firmly where it should do. The strap buttons are solid, and are shaped in such away where it's near impossible for the strap to slip. You can totally depend on this bird, she will never let you down. Her finish has also stood up to gigging, even playing on the back of an old farm truck!. Fenders can last for years, and I'm sure this one will follow suite! [u]Rating:[/u] 10

[u]Impression:[/u] The two bands I play with do mainly self-penned stuff, so I get to create some busy bass lines. This bass allows me to do this. I've been playing for nearly 4 years, and started on a Squier Bronco Bass (I only have small hands), and a Fender Rumble 15 Combo. Scince then I've collected a Squier Precision Special (with both P-Bass and J-Bass pickups, and a J-Bass neck). As I mentioned above, I have an Ashdown Bass Combo as my amp, a beautiful combination for mellow sounds. If this bass was stolen, I would certainly re-purchase it. it's a fantastic bass with all the power you need to play those licks loud and clear. I love practically everthing about this bass. The only one point I can come come across that is poor about this bass, is not bass itself. The strap supplied with the bass is far to thin for comfortable playing, I suggest using a thick strap with this bass (however, I'm a teenager, I'm not that strong). I did originally have a Highway One Jazz, but the neck pickup was totally dead, so I sent it back to Fender. They have since refunded that bass, and put it towards this one. Compared to the Highway One, for me, this bass is superior. [u]Rating[/u]: 10

Cheers, hope this helps some of you out there in the bass world!

Josh

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='580205' date='Aug 25 2009, 01:54 PM']Nice review, Josh. I also rate my Am.Std Jazz very highly, although I play mine through a Sadowsky preamp. Excellent basses.

[/quote]

Thats a beaut. Same colour as my Precision. I still want a Sunburst Jazz w/rosewood to go with my O.White and maple.