Why become a member? ×

Active-Passive bass simple question

KASH

Sorry if this sounds basic and obvious but I have a bit of a silly question :blush:

If a bass has passive pickups and active tone control, say a Spector Legend for example, is it considered an active or passive bass? And does it requires a battery too?

[quote name='KASH' post='579084' date='Aug 24 2009, 02:22 PM']Sorry if this sounds basic and obvious but I have a bit of a silly question :blush:

If a bass has passive pickups and active tone control, say a Spector Legend for example, is it considered an active or passive bass? And does it requires a battery too?[/quote]

By definition 'active' (whether pups or pre) means that a battery (batteries) is required; if a bass has a battery in it then it is active, conversely no battery at all and it is passive... UNLESS :) the bass is powered by an external power supply via a TRS lead or sometimes XLR style leads. :lol:

You can get pups that are active but can utilise passive pre amps and/or you can get passive pups that require or can work with active preamps and obviously pups and pres that are active and both require juice.

Confused? If not I haven't tried hard enough! :rolleyes:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='579113' date='Aug 24 2009, 02:39 PM']By definition 'active' (whether pups or pre) means that a battery (batteries) is required; if a bass has a battery in it then it is active, conversely no battery at all and it is passive... UNLESS :) the bass is powered by an external power supply via a TRS lead or sometimes XLR style leads. :lol:

You can get pups that are active but can utilise passive pre amps and/or you can get passive pups that require or can work with active preamps and obviously pups and pres that are active and both require juice.

Confused? If not I haven't tried hard enough! :rolleyes:[/quote]

I got it now, cheers!!

...is there a difference in sound or is it one better than the other? I mean for the most common combinations: active pu w/ passive pre VS passive pu w/ active pre? or is just different means to an end?

[quote name='KASH' post='579221' date='Aug 24 2009, 04:20 PM']I got it now, cheers!!

...is there a difference in sound or is it one better than the other? I mean for the most common combinations: active pu w/ passive pre VS passive pu w/ active pre? or is just different means to an end?[/quote]

As you say... you've got it. One is not necessarily better than the other and different manufacturers get the same end result by different means. Some people will swear one is better than the other (never mind the passive / active debate), I own combinations of just about all of them and I couldn't possibly say which is better; they are just different... or are they :lol: :)

At the end of the day it is personal preference, so just trust your ears. :rolleyes:

if you have passive pups...then you are passive
the signal then proceeds either to an on board preamp
or one on the head/combo
you are still generating passive signals

with the active pups...even they have a preamp built in and generate tiny signals to this

i would say if the bass has a preamp and eq on board it can be classified active
only because it needs a battery

? :)

edit..i forgot to take into consideration the change in signal type..active iirc goes better on long cable lengths

Edited by mrcrow