Why become a member? ×

Help needed on strings for acoustic g*itar

Clarky

My daughter has bought an Ibanez acoustic and the strings are so high tension she finds it unplayable (I find it hard too). I know many of you BCers also have acoustic guitars and wondered if someone can recommend me a low tension set of strings for an acoustic. I know nothing about acoustic strings so any help is welcome!

Its steel strung, the action is fine (fairly low) but the strings are as taut as cables so very hard to depress. Makes chordal playing very hard. My daughter spent all her birthday money on this guitar so she's a bit upset about it!

Edit: its this guitar, the semi-acoustic Ibanez AEL 10e

[attachment=31414:78_large.jpg]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='578207' date='Aug 23 2009, 02:26 PM']I would guess the guitar came strung with 12s. I would try a decent quality set of 10s or 11s.[/quote]
Cool, thanks mate. I have taken your advice and ordered a set of Rotosound 11s in bronze which seemed to get some good comements on Stringsdirect. If that doesn't work, I will go for a set of 10s

Hi Clarky,

I had a similar situation and was pointed in the direction of Newtone strings.... fitted a set of light guage (9 or 10) and job done.
The Newtones seems very flexy compared with regular accoustic strings, but make sure you get the 10's or lighter.
If this is definately a string issue, not a set-up issue.... the Newtones will resolve it.

Edit:
Just checked, and they are called Newtone Master Class.

Edited by Mr.T

[quote name='Mr.T' post='579891' date='Aug 25 2009, 09:51 AM']Hi Clarky,

I had a similar situation and was pointed in the direction of Newtone strings.... fitted a set of light guage (9 or 10) and job done.
The Newtones seems very flexy compared with regular accoustic strings, but make sure you get the 10's or lighter.
If this is definately a string issue, not a set-up issue.... the Newtones will resolve it.[/quote]
thanks mate, the 11s should arrive today and I'll give them a go. If they don't work out, I will go for some 10s. The good thing is a new set of acoustic strings doesn't cost much, unlike with my basses! eg, TI Flats £33 a pop (albeit they do last for millenia)

Just for future reference, Clarky.

There is a relationship between the guage of the string on an any guitar, particularly an acoustic guitar, and the sound. The lighter the string, the weaker the sound but it is easier to play, the heavier the string, the better the sound but it is harder to play. It is a compromise between string tension and sound. Your daughter will definately feel the benefit of a lighter guage but, in the longer term, as she gets better, it may be worth going up a guage every now and then until you get the optimum sound/action ratio.

It could, of course, be the action on the guitar (the height of the strings from the fingerboard) is too high. If this is the case, the neck can be adjusted but this needs to be done by an experienced luthier so don't try it if you don't know what you are doing. If you only just bought the guitar and the shop is nearby, they may do it for free.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='579903' date='Aug 25 2009, 10:01 AM']Just for future reference, Clarky.

There is a relationship between the guage of the string on an any guitar, particularly an acoustic guitar, and the sound. The lighter the string, the weaker the sound but it is easier to play, the heavier the string, the better the sound but it is harder to play. It is a compromise between string tension and sound. Your daughter will definately feel the benefit of a lighter guage but, in the longer term, as she gets better, it may be worth going up a guage every now and then until you get the optimum sound/action ratio.

It could, of course, be the action on the guitar (the height of the strings from the fingerboard) is too high. If this is the case, the neck can be adjusted but this needs to be done by an experienced luthier so don't try it if you don't know what you are doing. If you only just bought the guitar and the shop is nearby, they may do it for free.[/quote]
Thanks Bilbo. The action is fine, as it happens, its just the string tension is a bit ridiculous. Its an electro-acoustic model so to some extent the unplugged volume isn't overwhelmingly important as she intends to play it through a little combo. At this stage I am more interested in the playability of the guitar (and stopping her being upset!) but - you are absolutely right - as she gets better we should review the strings/setup. As I said earlier, the good thing here is that new strings are pretty cheap for acoustics (a fiver a packet roughly - unless you are buying coated strings or Thomastiks!)