Why become a member? ×

Nitro finishes - how delicate are they?

Beer of the Bass

I've recently picked up a nitrocellulose finished Fender Highway One Jazz (which is lovely!). I'm aware that vinyl type plastics can soften and damage lacquer and that I should be careful with guitar stands etc. But is the stuff they make the outer layer of leads out of OK in contact with a nitro finish? I'm in the habit of tucking my lead behind my strap, and don't want to leave a big ugly patch on the finish in this spot. Has anyone had their lacquer eaten by doing this?
I'm probably being a bit pernickety, given that a thin finish like this will wear anyway, but it would be nice if I could avoid big ugly blister marks...

If you're worried about it you could always stick some fabric tape around the part of the lead that touches the body.
Not all guitar stands will react with a nitro finish (some of them actually use this as a selling point) - it tends to be the cheaper one that do.

This is a bit tricky as there are different types of nitro finish and some nitro finishes are a bit tougher than others. In general however, I find nitro to be very delicate in comparison with poly. It really is much softer and more prone to scrapes, marks, dulling, scratches and dings. The upside is, nitro looks lovely and is easier to repair - smaller marks will polish out easily with something like Auto Glym or T Cut (but a gentle approach is necessary). I've not had a reaction from stands but it's a good idea to source one that is nitro safe (as it's also a good idea to use cleaning products that are nitro safe - I think Meguiars products for Fender are promoted as such). On leads, it will be easy to damage/mark a thin nitro finish by putting the lead through the strap - you could use a lead with a 'traditional' woven fabric coating (there are a few around - I think Fender produce one?) but, depending on the vigour with which you move around, it's likely that you'll wear the finish eventually. It's probably best to just take reasonable care and get on with enjoying playing and using the bass - a pristine nitro finish really can be a thing of immense beauty but you'll stop worrying as soon as you get a few marks on it.

I had a big worry on this one with my new Gibson Thunderbird. I ordered it through my local Gibson dealer. The finish was still quite soft when I first took it out the case, and it marked where I had it resting on my jeans! :) The finish seems to have hardened off a lot now, for some reason.

I'll give a big thumbs up for Auto Glym though. I use it on all my basses, with fantastic results. Brings the nitro finish on my EB2, and Tbird up lovely :rolleyes: