Why become a member? ×

marshall mb 450h +di

bobbytodd

Ive just started using the di on my marshall mb450h but every time i connect it to the desk a soundstation 600 the gain lights go straight into the red.so we have had to turn the gain on the bass channel right down to almost zero to bring the lights down to amber but the bass from the front sounds sh*te.we are using mackie 450v2 and rfc bins all active is there any way of turning down the signal from the amp its self my peavey 450 max has a control knob for the di but the marshall hasnt so any help or advice welcome

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='580467' date='Aug 25 2009, 05:29 PM']A microphones output is tiny compared to a DI, so that's probably the problem. Use the line in instead.[/quote]
The problem with that is that you can't run a jack lead from the amp's line out to a far-away desk the way you can with a balanced output. I guess it would depend how far away the sound guy is with the desk - if you're going through the stagebox you'll certainly have to use a balanced output.

Lots of DI boxes have an attenuation or pad control - rather than using the amp's XLR straight into the desk, run it into a DI box either from XLR or jack (depending on the box), dial in some cut on the DI and run that into your desk?

There was even one I remember reading about (can't remember the brand) which had a huge switchable amount of cut and a lot of current handling in the internal wiring, intended to go between the amp's power output and the speaker cab. Never tried it out though...