Why become a member? ×

ERNIE McMILLEN FRETLESS 4 JAZZ

Gareth Hughes

Up for sale is my Ernie McMillen Custom 4 String Fretless.

Ernie McMillen builds guitars for the Avalon Guitar Company. Recently he has been working on Zematis guitars at Avalon, which retail at $15,000 in the US. Before that he worked for 15 years for Lowden Guitars, during which time he built many of the Goodfellow Basses that were made there between 1992-96. All this to say that the construction is top notch.

Enough about Ernie and now the bass: I had the bass made in 2000, and whilst I do love it so I'm mainly playing upright for most of my gigs so this bass is criminally underplayed.

Body is a regular jazz shape (taken from a mid 70's Fender template) and is one piece Mahogany with a bookmatched Rosewood cap (that has some damn sexy stripes running through it). Neck is a 5 piece: Maple Walnut Wenge (I think, or possibly Rosewood) Walnut Maple, Ebony fingerbard with Maple lines and dots above the lines. Scale is 35 inches. The headstock has Schaller tuners with a Rosewood cap and mother-of-pearl logo.

Bridge is by ABM with adjustable 16-20mm string spacing. The pickups are by Bill Lawrence, the J45 model. These pickups have a huge frequency response and are very even from low to high. The electronics and standard Jazz passive: Vol/Vol/Tone. The bass was originally wired with a Bartolini TBIBT preamp (more on that later) with the jack socket side mounted. I didn't get the empty jack socket filled in, just discretely covered, so an active system can be installed without any modification.

About the Bartolini preamp - I still have it and it still works, but I think it needs a new blend pot. Last time I had it installed it seemed to be quieter in the 50/50 middle position with both pickups on equally together, and significantly louder when either pickup was soloed. Asked around, someone thought the blend pot might be the wrong value. I don't really care for preamps so took it out and left it alone. I'll include it with the sale tho for your tinkering.

And finally - the price: All in, with the pickups and pre, this bass cost £14-1500 to get made. I'm selling it for[s] £900 £800 £750[/s][b] £675 [/b] o.n.o shipped to the UK with a hard case and the Bartolini preamp.

[b]Here's some examples of other basses that Ernie has built:[/b] [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=53343"]Ernie McMillen Jazz Bass[/url] [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57031"]Ernie McMillen Jazz 5[/url]

[b]SOUNDCLIPS[/b]: Tracks were recorded straight into Garageband via an MBox Mini, with no added EQ or Compression, etc.

[attachment=52539:Both_PU__s.mp3][attachment=52540:Neck_PU.mp3][attachment=52541:Bridge_PU.mp3]

[attachment=52533:Fretless_Body_Full.jpg][attachment=52534:Fretless_Front_1.jpg][attachment=52535:He
adstock.jpg][attachment=52536:Neck_Woods.jpg][attachment=52537:Back.jpg][attachment=52538:Body_1.jpg
]

Edited by Gareth Hughes

• 9 months later...

[quote name='faceman' post='872332' date='Jun 20 2010, 12:43 AM']I recognise that riff from somewhere Gareth, I need to write up a huge post now that the show is over.

Best of luck with the sale, I really would love this bass as it is everything one would want from a fretless![/quote]

Hey Seb - yes, looking forward to that post and hearing how you got on. It really is such a great bassline, and totally infectious.

[quote name='davidak' post='876761' date='Jun 24 2010, 07:26 PM']Beautiful looking and sounding bass! Where is that first riff from? I know it very good, but can't remember.. :) Thanks.[/quote]

Thanks davidak. That riff is from 'Santa Fe' from the musical 'RENT'. I had the bass chair for the first Irish production of RENT and always had a soft spot for that line. Kind of like Peter Gabriel's 'Don't Give Up' - there's a wonderful hypnotic thing going on with it. And here's some tangent trivia - I actually had this bass made for doing the show. I had the body made a few months before hand for a neck I had, and then I got the show and saw it needed a fretless, so I figured why not get a neck made for the body. And that's how this beautiful baby came into existence. It really does sound, feel and play wonderfully - but alas all my mwah needs are met with my upright.

• 2 weeks later...