Why become a member? ×

Bands using Backing Tracks (MP3)

Tradfusion

[quote name='The Funk' post='576212' date='Aug 20 2009, 11:24 PM']That's my approach but then I'm a firm believer in different 'live' and 'studio' arrangements (and 'acoustic' arrangements too!).

I do understand that for a lot of musicians (and fans) a live show is about perfectly recreating the record. I don't see that approach as not being valid, musically, ethically or otherwise. It's just not for me. Having said that, when I see a live arrangement of a tune that misses out the good bits of the studio arrangement, I get annoyed.

I think the most important principle (and maybe the only principle) to go by is that you can't please everyone - so just try to please whoever you're doing it for.[/quote]

I'm not religious about all this "purity" any more. I do what I need to do to help the singer and her songs sound as good as they can be. Two of my bands use BTs, one doesn't. The one that doesn't feels a bit different, it's slightly more fluid because that's the way it is, each is magic to play with in their own way.

Whatever you do in your band, it should be compelling for the audience. Don't let anyone tell what not to do. Follow your instinct.

[quote name='silddx' post='576224' date='Aug 20 2009, 11:37 PM']I'm not religious about all this "purity" any more.[/quote]

I guess I'm a purist when it comes to the music I make or listen to. (Not saying the music I make or listen to is any good - but I like it).

[quote name='silddx' post='576224' date='Aug 20 2009, 11:37 PM']I do what I need to do to help the singer and her songs sound as good as they can be.[/quote]

That's definitely the most important part of your job.

[quote name='silddx' post='576224' date='Aug 20 2009, 11:37 PM']Whatever you do in your band, it should be compelling for the audience.[/quote]

And that's definitely the most important part of the job for any band!

[quote name='The Funk' post='576212' date='Aug 20 2009, 11:24 PM']That's my approach but then I'm a firm believer in different 'live' and 'studio' arrangements (and 'acoustic' arrangements too!).

I do understand that for a lot of musicians (and fans) a live show is about perfectly recreating the record. I don't see that approach as not being valid, musically, ethically or otherwise. It's just not for me. Having said that, when I see a live arrangement of a tune that misses out the good bits of the studio arrangement, I get annoyed.

I think the most important principle (and maybe the only principle) to go by is that you can't please everyone - so just try to please whoever you're doing it for.[/quote]

Well anything I do I try to make entertaining, but I think it's foolish to pursue studio perfection on a live stage.

I'd rather hear a band fit whatever they're doing into the instrumentation they've got (although we're quite lucky because we've got three useful vocalists on drums, bass and guitar who sound good together, and two horn players who also play keys). I suppose with a top 40 band maybe the expectations are different, the audience expects you to sound like the record, but then I would never do a band like that. You'll always end up playing to audiences who don't really like music, they just want to hear tunes they know. Those people all need to die in a strangely targeted, coincidental and worldwide catastrophe.

[quote name='Tradfusion' post='574294' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:20 PM']So the majority of you guys think backing tracks are complete sh**e! I have never really gone to hear a band using them to be honest so I suppose that would be a good idea... our little 4 piece is'nt bad as we are, so maybe it is a re-thinking of the set list and that, our vocalist is female and she keeps picking songs that suit her voice and that she fancies herself, alot of them are fairly contemporary ala Beyonce, Sugababes, Rihanna etc so thats where we sound pretty twee with just the 1 guitar, bass and drums. Stuff like Blondie, Pretenders, Fleetwood mac etc we can horse out and they sound fine... we were trying to include some of the recent hits because people keep asking for them. As for the extra musician, we are on a set fee for the pub gigs and if we bring someone else on board we have another cut in the already (IMO) paltry fee, we have other gigs like weddings etc where we can afford a keyboard player and its great, makes all the difference... Oh well, back to the drawing board.. :)[/quote]

If this thread is to be taken [b]back on track[/b] ( got it? ) I will suggest that you make some very simple backtracks where you simply put a click in the left channel of a stereo mix and the tracks in the right. Then it will do, and you can try out if this is what you want. Use some sort of Cubase, Audition, Garageband or anything similar.
If you decide to go along with the idea after having tried it out ( it is a little more complex to get to work, than it sounds ) then you need to get up a step or two.

I use a Macbook and Logic Pro with a MOTU firewire interface. Then I can make as many tracks as I wish AND I can route whichever click I want to its own output....for the drummer to use. Be aware that the drummers have different wishes regarding how the click is produces. Some only want 1/4-notes and some want 1/16 notes. I needs to be tested which works best for your drummer.

I think that it is ok to use backtracks. I occasionally play in a band with tracks, and it is great fun BUT you need to be able to groove along with the tracks - not as easy as it sounds.
Good luck with the project. It absolutely is do-able, so go ahead - it is a playground :rolleyes: