Why become a member? ×

Lakland Vs Fender

bassatnight

[quote name='Linus27' post='567270' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:15 PM']I am wondering if Lakland are being very clever with this. The Skyline range is made of superb wood from Korea (I think) and then sent to the USA for the electrics, assembled and set up by hand. To me wood is wood and makes no difference where it comes from. So being assembled, set up, quality checked etc in the USA makes this pretty much an American bass to me. So this competes with the USA Fender range which is I guess their main competitor. However, Lakland also have what they call the USA Laklands which are no different to the Skylines in terms of electrics, assembly and setup apart from the wood used. Like I say, to me wood is wood and the Skyline range already uses superb wood so the wood used on the USA makes no difference to me. However, those who are rich enough to afford the real deal (pro players, collectors, hard-core fans and rich people) will buy the USA range and I imagine Lakland are making a nice profit on those sold. The quantity is small but the profit is great and if the Skyline range is selling well which is seems to be and competing with Fender, then they will be laughing all the way to the bank. They also seem to have a lot of artists on their books who play Laklands so they must be doing pretty well.[/quote]

The hardware such as the bridge and the tuners is also different to the US model