Why become a member? ×

On-board Preamp popping

Hi all,
I know this might appear as if I am a right tart, after all I registered a while back but hardly contribute, but I do lurk and read post.

This time I would really like some advice, possibly from someone who has had experience and I think I would get a more comprehensive and considered response from Basschat UK than my regular music forum in Melbourne [Melband].

My Giffin Custom (1987) has developed a problem in the electronics. The pre-amp is a Bartolini dual band "TBT". It still works but as time goes on, during playing, it produces a loud pop. In my mind it is as if a capacitor is charging up over a 5 to 10 minute period and then discharges producing the noise. I'm also guessing that this may be part of a component failure in the preamp.

Am I on the right lines here?

I'd really like to fix it rather then just replace it with some modern equivalent (NTBT?).

Thanks guys.

Edited by Fretless Eric

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Fretless Eric' post='557592' date='Aug 1 2009, 07:46 AM']Hi all,
I know this might appear as if I am a right tart, after all I registered a while back but hardly contribute, but I do lurk and read post.

This time I would really like some advice, possibly from someone who has had experience and I think I would get a more comprehensive and considered response from Basschat UK than my regular music forum in Melbourne [Melband].

My Giffin Custom (1987) has developed a problem in the electronics. The pre-amp is a Bartolini dual band "TBT". It still works but as time goes on, during playing, it produces a loud pop. In my mind it is as if a capacitor is charging up over a 5 to 10 minute period and then discharges producing the noise. I'm also guessing that this may be part of a component failure in the preamp.

Am I on the right lines here?

I'd really like to fix it rather then just replace it with some modern equivalent (NTBT?).

Thanks guys.[/quote]

I'm assuming you've tried the obvious, a new battery checked for voltage?