Why become a member? ×

Greetings

LeeCassidy

Hi all,

A friend recommended this place to find a decent 6 string bass on, so here I am! :)

I'm Lee, from Brighton. I'm a guitarist in a progressive rock/metal band called Son of Science and a couple of other projects. I'm learning bass at the moment and have come to realise I'd like something with at least 5 strings, but could probably use something with 6. I love the harmonics on a 6 and also love tapping.

Biggest heroes on bass are John Pattitucci, John Myung, Sean Malone, Billy Sheehan, Tom Kennedy, and a bunch of others. Basically, the show off guys :rolleyes:

Currently using an OLP 4 string tuned down to A Standard. It's not a terrible bass, but I can feel the lack of quality compared to a friend's bass I recently borrowed (a Fender 5 string), and the bassist of my band's 6 string Ibanez Prestige.

I'm a massive gear whore, and only buy 7 or 8 string guitars, and have quite a guitar rig and recording set-up. But I'm really lacking on bass gear. I'm slowly learning on bass, but as I improve, I'm noticing that the tools need to improve, too.

So I'm on the look out for a nicer 6 or 5 string!

Cheers,

Lee

Thanks for the welcome, chaps.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. But certainly nothing excellent, as it'd be wasted on me. A real entry level 5 or 6 would do me. Not looking to head over the £300 mark. I'm not really sure what options that gives me. But having seen the Hudson 6 on here, I think that'd do me nicely.

[quote name='LeeCassidy' post='558052' date='Aug 1 2009, 08:08 PM']Thanks for the welcome, chaps.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. But certainly nothing excellent, as it'd be wasted on me. A real entry level 5 or 6 would do me. Not looking to head over the £300 mark. I'm not really sure what options that gives me. But having seen the Hudson 6 on here, I think that'd do me nicely.[/quote]

I'd try and pick up an Ibanez SR506, i had one of those things... damn it was lovely. Regret selling it big time. You should see one second hand within budget :)

Thanks Doctor.

[quote name='TheButler' post='558214' date='Aug 2 2009, 01:22 AM']I'd try and pick up an Ibanez SR506, i had one of those things... damn it was lovely. Regret selling it big time. You should see one second hand within budget :rolleyes:[/quote]

The bassist of my band has one (he's an endorser of Ibanez), and it's really nice. I find it very playable and guitar player-friendly. There's one on eBay right now, actually. And funnily enough, it's being 'Bay'd by a store in Brighton (where I live) that's owned by a guy I know. Coinci-mental. :) [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibannez-SR-506-6-string-bass-SR-506-Active-monster!_W0QQitemZ120453919832QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090731?IMSfp=TL0907311610002r14282"]Ibannez SR-506 6 string bass SR 506 Active monster![/url]
I'm keeping an eye on it. I know him fairly well, but I don't think he'd give me a discount, so I may as well not tip my hand yet.

I've seen some nice 7 strings on eBay, but I think the fretboard's would be too wide for me. Plus, I'd never make use of that high string.