Why become a member? ×

Stuff to read (notes)

Oscar South

I want to brush this up again, I'm not exactly rusty but I've rested on my laurels for a while with no significant progress. I'm looking for ideas for different music to read, got cello suites, got the double violin concerto from the theory forum, got the bass clef real book, would just like as diverse and bizzare a selection (suggestions or links, I don't mind searching for stuff) as you can offer, treble and C clefs welcome too but I mainly want to stick to bass.

Cheers,
Oscar.

Good suggestions, I'm actually working through Simandl vol.1 for my double bass studies at the moment but thanks anyway. Plus I'm hoping I can pick up some more stuff thats a little more musically gripping heh. I'll look those up Stickman.

I've also got Slonimsky's 'Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns' which aside from being a fascinating glimpse into the mind of a genius is little more in practice than a glorified sight reading exersise. (I'll come back to it in 30 years :))

Edited by Oscar South

I have put a load of transcriptions on the forum under 'theory and technique': Dave Holland, Ron Carter, Milt Hinton, Steve Swallow, Gerry Mulligan (in bass clef) and some others. May be more challenging than some of the classical stuff that tends to be pattern based and repetitive (IME)

The Telemann Cello duets are good, you can get them here, with Midi Files also, great practice.

[url="http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com/score/CanonicVcOffer.html"]http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com/score/CanonicVcOffer.html[/url]