Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Line 6 lowdown HD400 Head

nugget

Hi

I need a new head and I'm getting so confused about which way to go with it all. I currently use a HArtke HA5000 and SWR Mk11 210 cab playing covers from pop - funk through to classic rock so a wide range.

Trouble is I dont believe that amps in the showroom at reasonable volumes sound the same as whenthey are cranked trying to out-gun our VERY loud drummer.... I dont have may mates who play bass who will lend me thier rigs to try and the only local guitar shops that know me well enough to lend me something have virtually no bass amps at all.

Personal review such as on this great site are a real help but styles and tastes vary so much between people and trying to describe the sound and texture of a bass amp is virtually impossible.

I do go watch a lot of local bands, the best sound I've heard so far is EBS HD350 - never seen anyone with eden, mark bass, EA, mesa boogie etc, it seems like this area is over run with some pretty average Peavey rigs. I liked the EBS because the notes were crystal clear so you could pickout the cleaver runs etc but it still had loads of warmth and bass.

A pro guitarist mate of mine really rates line 6 guitar amps and has recorded 3 albums in very different styles with just one amp and he gets real tone out of it. Does real tone come from the amp or from your fingers....???

I can't afford an ebs (£400 budget) so where do I go, has anyone tried the bigger line 6 bass amps? does the modeling work as well asthe guitar version? if so they cant be too bad???? even though they might not be as fasionable as mark bass - but then I've never been one for lables.

Unless someone has an EBS HD350 for less than £400 any other comments/suggestions

bloddy confused

I have the line6 300pro and love it. Plugged it in earlier as im usually using my practice amp and it brought a huge smile to my face. If your ever nearby your welcome to pop by n crank it up. Although not to full volume as last time i done that part of a church roof fell lol!

• 3 years later...

I had one for a very short time last year, from new. SOld it as quick as I could. Truly not a great bass amp. High noise floor. Hard to get a loud, clean tone (overdrives on all models far too easily). Heavy. Tone nothing special at all.

Selling very cheap, but only worth those measly figures IMO.

I currently have the LD400 Pro combo, which is for sale (plug, plug), and I have the Pod XT Pro rack which I'm going to be using with a Barefaced Big Twin T when Alex's guys can tear themselves away from FiFA 2012....!

Unlike Alex I do see the point of modelling live, provided you abandon spurious thoughts of "authenticity", I find the Line 6 bass kit to be good both in flexibility and in tone, but you do need to spend some time getting away from the factory presets and finding your own sound. I deliberately chose the Big Twin T as I intend to use it like a very loud studio monitor, to simply amplify the output of the Pod XT to gig levels. The Pod XT is a great studio tool, providing a huge range of tones, and I intend to make use of that flexibility in the live situation.

The models are generally pretty good, particularly the Ampeg and Marshall models, and can yield some very useable sounds. The combo is certainly loud enough to cope with a loud drummer, moreso with an extension cab, but the limitation is the speaker cab, which doesn't handle high volume as well as a very expensive cab would, however at the price you can grab one for they are useable, loud and flexible. Studio wise the DI output with the modelling is very useful. If you don't expect it to sound exactly like an SVT/8x10 rig, you'll find that it sounds close enough for rock n roll.

As ever, it's not the kit you own, it's what you do with it that counts. We all know the guy with £1000's in kit who sounds crap and the other guy with the scraped together rig who sounds great.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1248965112' post='556258']
Personally though I don't see much value in bass amp modelling in live situations as you're almost always going to be limited by the loudspeaker cabinet performance.
[/quote]

Should I be worried about the capabilities of your Big Twin T then Alex...? ;)