Why become a member? ×

What KT88s for my MAtamp

Mr. Foxen

Pretty much established my Matamp is not as loud as it should be so its gonna go off to a tech. Might need new valves, so what is the current ones to have? Can't be dealing with this NOS thing, so modern ones, but happy to spend some on nice ones, anyone tried the new Gold Lions?

[quote name='pete.young' post='552332' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:18 AM']New gold lions? Tell me more!

I have JJ Tesla KT77s in my Burmans and they seem to be reasonable quality and work very well. Do JJ make a KT88?[/quote]

The old Lions have been reissued, but fairly recent so not so sure if they compare to the originals. Don't seem much more expensive than JJs but google has given me some critisism, but often by NOS purist sorts, also some reports of unreliablility, supported by JoeGarcias Gold Lion KT77 dying, but I'm not sure if thats the fault of the valve, or the amp, since same one seems to have died in it after they were replaced.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='552176' date='Jul 26 2009, 10:59 PM']Pretty much established my Matamp is not as loud as it should be so its gonna go off to a tech. Might need new valves, so what is the current ones to have? Can't be dealing with this NOS thing, so modern ones, but happy to spend some on nice ones, anyone tried the new Gold Lions?[/quote]

I'm sure you already know this but I was nattering to Geoff at matamp and he says they are using JJ Tesla KT88's... in fact that is what is going in mine.

[url="http://www.watfordvalves.com/reports.asp"]http://www.watfordvalves.com/reports.asp[/url]

Here is a report from Watford valves on various types, go to 6550/KT88 it shows most but not the Gold Lions, although he does stock these but they're £10 more than the JJ's. I have heard people say the Gold Lions are more HiFi, but I have the original GEC KT88's in the V8 and it sounds more like heaven than HiFi.