Why become a member? ×

The Compact: Vertical vs. Horizontal orientation

Would there be any difference in sound between the Compact oriented vertically (so the slant port is on the bottom) or horizontally (so the slant port is on the side like here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=24346)"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach...t&id=24346)[/url]?

Also, what would be the ideal way to stack two compacts if one was to do so? Both horizontal or both vertical?

Thanks!

I got my new Compact on Friday and asked that very question to Alex, who answered that while he can see why one would stack them with the speakers close together, He would advive to stact them vertically one on top of the other normally. I'm sure Alex will come up with the scientific explanaiton for that.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='551962' date='Jul 26 2009, 12:23 PM']I got my new Compact on Friday and asked that very question to Alex, who answered that while he can see why one would stack them with the speakers close together, He would advive to stact them vertically one on top of the other normally. I'm sure Alex will come up with the scientific explanaiton for that.[/quote]

Thanks, that's what I figured. It's a little bit more aesthetically pleasing with them stacked horizontally like these Orange cabs:

However, those cabs are designed to be aligned horizontally by looking at the logos.

I'm interested to hear Alex's explanation. I wonder if he would advise to have one Compact aligned vertically rather than horizontally. Perhaps because the driver would be farther off the ground?

For a single cab vertical is better because it gets the driver further off the ground, so more mids/highs direct to your ears and less bouncing off the floor. Horizontal but on a beer crate would sound the same though.

For two cabs there are pros and cons both ways but the differences are subtle. Two vertically will get more treble to your ears and should exhibit slightly more even response in the mids. You could turn the top cab upside down to get the speakers to couple higher, which will get you a bit more midrange. You could also turn the bottom cab upside down to reduce the coupling. If you put the cabs on their sides then you'll lower the baffle-step and get a bit more low midrange whilst increasing coupling to get more midrange. However as the stack won't be as tall you won't hear as much upper midrange and treble.

In reality you've got so much output and power handling with a pair that you can do whatever you prefer aesthetically and tweak the tone in with EQ, though I think if I was outdoors without PA support I'd lean towards stacking them on their sides for the extra directionality.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='552708' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:14 AM']For a single cab vertical is better because it gets the driver further off the ground, so more mids/highs direct to your ears and less bouncing off the floor. Horizontal but on a beer crate would sound the same though.

For two cabs there are pros and cons both ways but the differences are subtle. Two vertically will get more treble to your ears and should exhibit slightly more even response in the mids. You could turn the top cab upside down to get the speakers to couple higher, which will get you a bit more midrange. You could also turn the bottom cab upside down to reduce the coupling. If you put the cabs on their sides then you'll lower the baffle-step and get a bit more low midrange whilst increasing coupling to get more midrange. However as the stack won't be as tall you won't hear as much upper midrange and treble.

In reality you've got so much output and power handling with a pair that you can do whatever you prefer aesthetically and tweak the tone in with EQ, though I think if I was outdoors without PA support I'd lean towards stacking them on their sides for the extra directionality.

Alex[/quote]

Thanks!