Why become a member? ×

Low output from DI

JPS

I used my Trace Elliot AH400SMX for the first time in ages last night (I normally use a Hartke Kickback 12 through the PA), the singer, who looks after the PA, complained that the signal coming from the DI out put on the rear of the amp was really weak compared to the Hartke. As a result he had to chan ge the settings on the desk so that they were a lot higher.

Is there any particular reason for this, or is it just 2 different amps? What, if anything, could I do to increase the signal and not have to make the PA/desk work so hard? I'd forgotten had brilliant the compressor on the TE is and how great is sounds generally. Would it be worth investing in a separate DI box?

Cheers

JPS.

[quote name='JPS' post='551673' date='Jul 26 2009, 11:32 AM']I used my Trace Elliot AH400SMX for the first time in ages last night (I normally use a Hartke Kickback 12 through the PA), the singer, who looks after the PA, complained that the signal coming from the DI out put on the rear of the amp was really weak compared to the Hartke. As a result he had to chan ge the settings on the desk so that they were a lot higher.

Is there any particular reason for this, or is it just 2 different amps? What, if anything, could I do to increase the signal and not have to make the PA/desk work so hard? I'd forgotten had brilliant the compressor on the TE is and how great is sounds generally. Would it be worth investing in a separate DI box?

Cheers

JPS.[/quote]
I have the AH250SMX and experienced the same after I'd had it a couple of years. Got in touch with Trace, who informed me the XLR on the back was actually [u]not a balanced DI[/u]. Quite happily sold me a transformer with instructions.. problem solved and I still love the amp 16 years down the line. :)
I suppose a DI would give the same effect.

Does the DI have an output level control? Some Amps do. Check it hasn't been turned down.
Never had any issues from my AH300 SMX...

In terms of DI boxes, not all are created equal! They can all sound a bit different.
You could get a cheapo Generic DI box for not a lot, or perhaps seek out one of the pre-amp/DI box units such as;

MXR M-80
Sans Amp BDDI or ParaDriver
EBS Micro Amp
Hartke Bass Attack VXL
Aguilar Tone hammer
Radial Tone Bone

which vary in price from about £70 to £200.
The EBS unit is very comprehensive, but expensive
The MXR is tough, but has one shortcoming in that the Drive doesn't work without applying EQ
The SansAmp seems to divide opinion, but the mid failings seem to be addressed by its brother, The ParaDriver
The Radial and Aguilar I haven't tried, but the Aggie seems popular enough hereabouts.
The Hartke is cheap and quite well made. I don't like the Shape function, and the Drive is only okay, but use it as a "clean" DI with no effects applied, and it's really very good- perhaps more neutral sounding than the MXR use din the same way.
That said, I've nearly always used my Trace's DI, even for recording, with no trouble.

Thanks Lfalex. No it doesn't have any controls, just simply 2 post eq and 1 pre eq DI sockets. Thanks also for the recommendations. The Hartke sounds like it might do a job.

Do the standards passive DI boxes e.g. Art, Samson etc send a decent level of signal to the box? Might be all I can afford for a few weeks at least.