Why become a member? ×

Which Squier Jazz?

4-string-thing

In a few weeks I'll be looking to buy myself another bass. I was thinking about a Squier classic vibe 51 precision, but as already own a 78 USA P bass, I'm now thinking about a Squier Jazz. Does anyone own, or have you tried either the Vintage modified fretless, or the Deluxe active IV? Are they any good? If so, which would you buy?

Cheers!

the deluxe active V is very, very nice. especially the neck. thats been out ages. theyve only recently brought out the deluxe active IV, i haven't played one, so i can't judge the neck, but if its the same electronics as the V, they're good for the price. obviously its not as versatile as a bass that costs more, but i'd say its worth having a look into. i've never owned one though, but i did work experience in a guitar shop and they had one in there.

BUT it doesn't sound like a jazz. its too modern sounding, which is great if you, like me, are into modern sounding, active basses (although atm i'm trying to trade my OLP for a simpler bass, maybe a jazz or precision) but if you want a classic fender jazz tone, i'd go for the vintage modified jazz (i've only played one of those at a bass bash before, was nice though, i understand the hype) or the classic vibe (which my dad bought, i got about 5 minutes playing it fretted before he whipped that neck off and put a fretless one on, i've touched it about 3 times since. but it sounded absolutely great before).

i'm no expert, i've only played each one a few times, never having owned any of them, and i've not had chance to compare them side by side, but thats the rough impression i got of each one. all very nice basses, but for a modern active tone, with more versatility, but lack of that classic fender jazz sound, go for the deluxe, for the more traditional fender sound, i'd go classic vibe or VM.

of course, i'd go for the classic vibe anyway and swap it for a black pickguard, just because that looks the best :)

EDIT: also, you'll have to go out and have a play of every jazz in your local shops within your price range. don't just stick to fender or squier, although if its anything you have any doubt about you may want to check here before buying. but play every jazz (or every bass) within how much you're willing to spend until you find a really really nice one.

Edited by Tait

I've had the vintage modified maple affair & that was a really good bass, if lacking in a little output & sophistication in the hardware dept. But more recently I tried one of the newer Classic Vibe jazzes, in the white with tort guard. What a bass! Just plugged into a cheap Peavey combo, it just oozed "that" jazz sound - The one you've always looked for! Hardware is much improved on the CVJ as well. Go try one.

Rich.

Oh lordy, I knew this would happen.....

I love the look of the sunburst modified vintage, fretless, but think it looks a bit odd with the chrome control plate but no pickguard. And they do the deluxe in the same colour, no control plate, but fretted only. (stick with me, I think I have that right so far) So I'm thinking my ideal beast would be the deluxe, defretted and with the actives removed for the true "jazz" sound! Hmmm, not very likely to find one then!

Heh... you can always add a pickguard.
I thought I was going to have to get one. I was going to swap out the machines for vintage ones, add a pickguard, pup and bridge covers, a thumbrest/tugbar and Jazz style knobs. Oh and poss drop in a J-Retro or Audere!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='551645' date='Jul 26 2009, 11:04 AM']I've had the vintage modified maple affair & that was a really good bass, if lacking in a little output & sophistication in the hardware dept. But more recently I tried one of the newer Classic Vibe jazzes, in the white with tort guard. What a bass! Just plugged into a cheap Peavey combo, it just oozed "that" jazz sound - The one you've always looked for! Hardware is much improved on the CVJ as well. Go try one.

Rich.[/quote]

Rich is dead right - I've got one of these and its a belter! Buy one!