Why become a member? ×

Help with a dodgy DC adapter

Sazgo

I bought this cheap off ebay a few months ago to help try cut down on batteries as im usually only using 1 pedal i didnt want to buy a block to power them all at once, i was expecting this to do the job but i cant seem to get it to work and thought its maybe risky to play around with such things. I have taken a picture with my phone maybe someone could tell me if its set up wrong. The voltage is set to 9(even though the cheap switch doesnt line up correctly!) which i assume is right, its the other switch i have no clue about, theres no instructions and the diagram doesnt match anything ive seen in my pedal manuals.

[url="http://img169.imageshack.us/i/dsc00018f.jpg/"][/url]
Hopefully you can see clearly enough with this photo, my mobile phone camera didnt like to auto focus on something so small.

Ive had it plugged into an EHX pedal with those settings and nothing seemed to happen it just ran off a flat battery for a few mins then the LED went dead. The manual says having an adapter plugged in should overide the battery so i dont need to remove it first i guess.

Edited by Sazgo

The polarity switch is either set to centre negative or centre positive, depending on what your pedal requires

If it's a newer EHX, like a Nano etc. it will be centre negative. Most pedals are. The C shape and the dot shape represent the tip and barrell parts of the DC plug

Cheapies like this one are often unregulated too, i used one at home and it played hell with a couple of my pedals. There was loads of background noise and it was unusable
Dedicated guitar ones are a much better bet

EDIT: From the pic the left hand setting is centre +ve, the right one is centre-ve

Edited by lemmywinks