Why become a member? ×

Shadow SH 965 NFX Pick-up

BigBadBassman

Hi Peeps,

Need some advice please.

Has anybody fitted a Shadow nano-flex pick-up to their double bass and if so did you have any problems?

The reason I ask is that whilst trying to fit the transducers under the feet of the bridge due to the outer plastic sheath being nice and shiny, the bridge skidded all over the place. This in turn led to the sound post collapsing, so what started off as a simple 5 minute job has become more complicated.

As I see it there are a number of options, which include:

a) rubbing the finish off the bass in the area of the bridge feet - the bass is only a plywood cheapy so this not a problem as such, but I could see this being an issue on a bass costing several thousand pounds

:) abrading the plastic sheath of the pick-up to help grip the bass and bridge feet

c) fixing a thin sheet of rubber i.e. inner tube around the transducers - but rather not do this if I can help it as I don't want to attenuate the vibrations from the bass to the P/U

d) all of the above

This is not an insurmountable problem but I find it annoying that a P/U system costing around £200 seems to be poorly designed for the intended application and has limited fitting instructions to boot.

So greatful for any any help or advice anybody can offer,

Keep Boppin'

Tim

Their [url="http://www.shadow-electronics.com/doc/pro_pdf1/en-GB/SH_965_Manual_englisch.pdf"]instruction manual online[/url] is certainly lacking a bit. They don't mention having to alter the surface of either the bass or pickup prior to mounting and make it sound and look so easy. :)

Will you be able to reset your sound post ok? It may be a case of a luthier job to install the pup and reset your sound post.

[quote name='TPJ' post='548595' date='Jul 23 2009, 09:20 AM']Their [url="http://www.shadow-electronics.com/doc/pro_pdf1/en-GB/SH_965_Manual_englisch.pdf"]instruction manual online[/url] is certainly lacking a bit. They don't mention having to alter the surface of either the bass or pickup prior to mounting and make it sound and look so easy. :)

Will you be able to reset your sound post ok? It may be a case of a luthier job to install the pup and reset your sound post.[/quote]

Hi TPJ,

Not a problem re-setting the sound post - I invested in the correct tool sometime OK. I've pretty much rebuilt the bass over the last 5 years and I'm a great believer in having the right tool for the job. After having mucked around improvising with sharpened bits of coat hanger and the like I bought a sound post setting tool from Touchstone - £50 but worth it.

I've just spent £200 on getting the neck re-set, so don't really won't to spend anymore with a luthier. Besides which the guy I use is in Cheltenham and I'm on the South coast so it's not a question of popping round the corner to see him.

There's also the issue of pride - It shouldn't be that difficult to fit this blessed thing! From what I can see it is a similar design to the Realist (both based on piezo electric film) and I'm not aware of any issues fitting those beasties.

Thanks for the response,

Tim

I've no experience of the Shadow so I'm hardly qualified to offer advice - however; Rather than rough up a part of the bass or pickup you could try sticking a pice of masking tape to one or both faces of the pickup. From other pickups I've done this to it shouldn't have any effect on the sound. Failing that, thin rubber (cycle inner tube?) should guarantee a slip free result.

Incidentally, I'd be interested in contact details of your guy in Cheltenham. If you don't want to put him on the forum perhaps you could PM me.

[quote name='bassace' post='548677' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:03 AM'].... From other pickups I've done this to it shouldn't have any effect on the sound. Failing that, thin rubber (cycle inner tube?) should guarantee a slip free result.[/quote]
The Palatino modders on TalkBass use cycle inner tube under the bridge deliberately for its muting effect (or is it damping ?) effert so some caution needed there ... cheap experiment though.

Andy

[quote name='bassace' post='548677' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:03 AM']I've no experience of the Shadow so I'm hardly qualified to offer advice - however; Rather than rough up a part of the bass or pickup you could try sticking a pice of masking tape to one or both faces of the pickup. From other pickups I've done this to it shouldn't have any effect on the sound. Failing that, thin rubber (cycle inner tube?) should guarantee a slip free result.

Incidentally, I'd be interested in contact details of your guy in Cheltenham. If you don't want to put him on the forum perhaps you could PM me.[/quote]

Bassace no problem with passing the details on.
The guy in question is John Vickers at Vintage Strings, 88 London Road, Cheltenham GL52 6EH. 01242 515949/572129. email:[email protected]

John does a good job but has a waiting list of 6 to 8 weeks and occasionally needs to be "prompted"

Cheers,

Tim

I played with one of these last week (thought the sound was very mid-rangey for my bass).
Instructions recommended rubbing Roisin dust onto feet and bass surface. Creates sticky patch to stop the sliding.

Standard practice for many bassists to keep the bridge secure, even without a pickup in the way.