Why become a member? ×

1999 Warwick Thumb

Chris2112

I've had a good few days with this bass now and I've really settled down on it and I'm absolutely loving it! It's my first Warwick bass, despite the fact I've been after one for about 8 years now! I knew from the first time I played a Thumb that I'd have to have one at some point, and luckily the opportunity has finally presented itself!

There is little I can say about the Thumb that has not already been said, so I'll just address the main talking points. It balances well, but I wear my basses high. I suspect this is the way that Hans Peter intended the bass be worn! It does weigh a lot, but it's hardly a concern to me. I'll put up with weight for [i]that[/i] tone! I like basses that feel solid though, and I love small bodied basses too, so this really suits me well. It's been loving the RUSH and Big Country bass lines and even a few cheeky Level 42 tunes! I've had a go of it at rehearsal volume with a little fusion trio and it performed excellently.

I bought this bass on BC, from a guy who has it since he bought it in 1999. To be honest, it doesn't even look like it's been played! It's in incredible condition and the Wenge neck is a fantastic addition. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this one. So much so that I'm keeping my eyes open for a fretless....!

Edited by Chris2112

Yeah, comparing the wenge against my mates ovangkol necked Thumb, the wenge seems to impart a bit more of a burpy midrange, as well as looking awesome. I just can't get over how honky these basses sound, it sounds amazing when played alongside Weather Report records! And the slap sound is very different to all my past basses (Spector Euros, Kubicki Ex Factors, Status Stealths and Matrix basses, etc etc), but with the right facial expression you can pull off a very convincing assault of muted machine gun 16th notes! :)

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='simon1964' post='550464' date='Jul 24 2009, 06:17 PM']Very nice. There is a real love/hate thing about Warwicks, particularly Thumbs, but you simply cannot beat them for tone. More than makes up for the weight and balance issues. Enjoy :)[/quote]

Given that I don't mind the weight of this bass and that it balances rather well, I'm quite chuffed! :rolleyes:

It feels like a bit of a secret key to amazing tone. I can't think of any other production bass with the same wood combination, and it's a very specific pairing of woods...which means a tone all of it's own! Listening to the recordings I have made, it sounds incredible and very distinctive. I'd love to get it into the studio to lay down a few tracks!