Why become a member? ×

First setup- help!

M4L666

I have used many many combos, but I want to take my first step into real amps. I am looking for something cheap but powerful. I play mainly metal or hard rock, but looking to branch out into whatever makes me a better bassist- but I want an amp that can give me a decent overdriven tone as well as a good clean one. Also, I currently use a POD into a PA speaker, could I buy a head and use it with the speaker, or vice versa with the POD?

Thanks for your help,

[quote name='M4L666' post='546269' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:14 PM']I have used many many combos, but I want to take my first step into real amps. I am looking for something cheap but powerful. I play mainly metal or hard rock, but looking to branch out into whatever makes me a better bassist- but I want an amp that can give me a decent overdriven tone as well as a good clean one. Also, I currently use a POD into a PA speaker, could I buy a head and use it with the speaker, or vice versa with the POD?

Thanks for your help,[/quote]

Your best bet is to look at the 'For Sale' section - there are alot of bargains to be had there!

Not entirely sure about the POD - PA speaker, though I would suggest a proper bass cab would be best as it will be better at handling the lows.

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='547409' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:05 AM']Your best bet is to look at the 'For Sale' section - there are alot of bargains to be had there!

Not entirely sure about the POD - PA speaker, though I would suggest a proper bass cab would be best as it will be better at handling the lows.[/quote]

Depends on the bass cab and the PA speaker! :)

M4L666 - I'm assuming it's a powered cab you've got if you're using it with a POD. You could indeed use a line out from the pre amp section of a head, but I'm not sure that would be any improvement - the POD's pretty good at replicating some of the amp it models.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'vice versa with the POD' - buy a speaker and use it with the POD? If that's the case you'd be looking at either a powered speaker (which mostly limits you to other PA cabs) or buying a power amp and speaker.

Chris is right about looking at the for sale section. Personally I might look at something like the Hartke HA3500 with a bass cab (and use the POD for any tone shaping in front of it if you really need it). That's just me though - I have an irrational dislike of rack systems with separate power amps. :rolleyes: