Why become a member? ×

Well I'm outta here...

KevB

[quote name='KevB' post='546329' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:48 PM']I think in his day he was a well respected player in the area but he's not gigged seriously for 12 years and I came to live work late in life so our paths have never crossed. He's played more gigs than I'll ever do in my life so I've tried to show the respect due but I can only assume his social skills have got a bit blunted during his lay-off.[/quote]

See, when I hear stories of/go through similar encounters, I always assume it's because these people are unrealistic rock-star dreamers who have no idea how to deal with [i]professional[/i] musicians in real life (flattering myself here, perhaps :)). It smacks of inexperience and nervous, overcompensatory braggadocio to me, but I suppose there are plenty of well-practiced douchebags out there too!

+1 for forming your own band, with guys you know or have worked with before.

A slight detour but related ..

I was at out local jam session recently. The woman bass player form the house band came over to the playing area and started packing, obviously in a huff. Packed up her mic and bass and was about to leave when the jam leader guy came over. They then stood nose to nose arguing, gradually getting louder until she yelled "you threw FOOD at me" about 10 times and then stormed out.

The whole place sniggered and then a chorus of "you threw FOOD at me" went a round the room much to his embarrassment ...

:)

These things either work or they don't and how much you'll compromise depends on how much you want or need the gig.
If it was good payer, then you adjust that line as far as you need or have to.

Being picky can be a very good thing, IMV... but there nneds to be a balance.

Nobody is perfect but you wouldn't think it listening to some people..
Sounds like he was engineering a showdown like this....
move on, it didn't work.