Why become a member? ×

DHA - DI-EQ pedal - new

DHA

I am building another pedal after a couple of requests. It's a solid state pedal and not intended to add dirt, etc. Its an EQ with a DI. Guess I will call it DHA-EQ-DI unless someone has a more interesting suggestion.

Looking at battery and power supply operated unit in a 120x90x35mm box. Active EQ, treble, mid and bass with 15dB cut and boost in each band (same circuit as my VT1-EQ), Mid band sweep Q control. Level pot and on led.

XLR balanced DI out and 1/4" jack line out with high level output. 3 postion ground lift switch for the DI with Float, Ploat and ground.

1/4" jack in and if I can fit in on the box another 1/4" jack out that bypasses the line out, i.e. connected to the 1/4" jack in but DI will still work.

Will work as a DI, EQ, Clean boost and Pre-amp.

I will need to make a PCB if this pedal goes into production so will offer the first 5 takes a handbuild version for £49 including P&P. Target price for the production versions will be £59+PP.

Edited by DHA

[quote name='DHA' post='544965' date='Jul 19 2009, 10:14 PM']I am building another pedal after a couple of requests. It's a solid state pedal and not intended to add dirt, etc. Its an EQ with a DI. Guess I will call it DHA-EQ-DI unless someone has a more interesting suggestion.

Looking at battery and power supply operated unit in a 120x90x35mm box. Active EQ, treble, mid and bass with 15dB cut and boost in each band (same circuit as my VT1-EQ), Mid band sweep Q control. Level pot and on led.

XLR balanced DI out and 1/4" jack line out with high level output. 3 postion ground lift switch for the DI with Float, Ploat and ground.

1/4" jack in and if I can fit in on the box another 1/4" jack out that bypasses the line out, i.e. connected to the 1/4" jack in but DI will still work.

Will work as a DI, EQ, Clean boost and Pre-amp.

I will need to make a PCB if this pedal goes into production so will offer the first 5 takes a handbuild version for £49 including P&P. Target price for the production versions will be £59+PP.[/quote]

There has been a very good response to this, thanks.

I am thinking I could do a second more advanced version that would be the VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive without the valve drive if that makes sense :)

This would use the same PCB as the VT1-EQ and hence would have the same size box and the only controls that would be missing would be the Gain pot, bright switch and Colour switch. The footswitch would be swapped from a by-pass to tuner mute. So it would have all the functions of the smaller DI-EQ plus a headphne amp, line in, Boost pot and tuner mute. Could even add a second DI so one could be pre EQ and one after.

So larger box but 2 DIs, 1/4" line out and linked out, 1/4" in. I/P Pad, Level, treble, mid, bass, Q, boost, headphone and DI pre and DI post pots. Gnd lift switches for both DIs, boost switch, headphone out and line in jacks. Tuner out jack and footswitch mute.

Would be £99+P&P but would take £85 for the first 5 to BC users.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='555517' date='Jul 29 2009, 08:02 PM']Hi Dave, what's the input impedance on the small DI-EQ? If it's high enough to sound good with a piezo (1Mohm or greater), it'd be really useful to me and I'd be interested in one. Will they have the usual crazy paintjob? I'd be happy if it did...[/quote]

Yes, it will be 1M.

It's the same circuit as I use on the Vt1-Eq range and that works great with a piezo.

Dave

Hi all,

Just put the DHA-DI-EQ on ebay -

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DHA-DI-EQ-balanced-XLR-DI-and-3-band-EQ-Q-pre-amp_W0QQitemZ310159513366QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item4836f29716&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DHA-DI-EQ-balanced-X...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

I will hold the price of £49 to BC members until the new PCBs arrive which should be around 10 days. Not worried about the "first 5" anymore as we have already passed that number.

Dave

Just added the DHA-Twin-DI-EQ

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DHA-Twin-DI-EQ-2-DIs-3-band-EQ-Q-tuner-mute-h-p-amp_W0QQitemZ310159599033QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item4836f3e5b9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DHA-Twin-DI-EQ-2-DIs...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

Tuner mute, 2 DI's, headphone amp, line in, 3 band EQ+Q, boost and bright switches.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='562431' date='Aug 7 2009, 12:10 AM']Another quick question; does the midrange Q control adjust the centre frequency, or the width of the band boosted/cut?[/quote]

It adjusts the centre frequency of the mid band. The width of each band is unchanged and are designed to overlap.

• 2 weeks later...

The new DHA-DI-EQ PCB's arrived today, I made one up and I am pleased to say it worked first time. So, you guys that purchased a DHA-DI-EQ will be seeing them in the next few days as I wire them up.

Quite a lot of drive on the 1/4" line out which is adjustable with the level pot, so you could also use it as a clean boost to overdrive valve amps/pedals or as a high output line level. It is possible to set it to lower levels for you guys with SS amps. The DI was also quite hot so I reduced that a tad.

[quote name='DHA' post='574691' date='Aug 19 2009, 08:32 PM']The new DHA-DI-EQ PCB's arrived today, I made one up and I am pleased to say it worked first time. So, you guys that purchased a DHA-DI-EQ will be seeing them in the next few days as I wire them up.

Quite a lot of drive on the 1/4" line out which is adjustable with the level pot, so you could also use it as a clean boost to overdrive valve amps/pedals or as a high output line level. It is possible to set it to lower levels for you guys with SS amps. The DI was also quite hot so I reduced that a tad.[/quote]

Sounds good Dave. Is the impedance still 1M?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='596413' date='Sep 12 2009, 10:55 AM']got mine yesterday but I couldn't try it at the gig as I didn't have enough time, just a quick question, which input is pasive and which is active?[/quote]

There is only one i/p which will work with both passive and active bass's. It's the one with the guitar drawing on it, it is a stereo jack and your mono lead switches the power on by connecting the ground to the battery. The other 1/4" jack next to it is the unaffected feed.

Dave

I did that worked fine then it went off then it was fine again probably just pulled the lead out a little.

Overall impression was very good though, I used it directly into the power amp on my Superfly and it pulled off a very very sweet Ska tone, I'm not the smartest when it comes to explaining such things but I'd say there are a lot of tonal variations available on it and it will become a cheap, practical, high quality back up.