Why become a member? ×

WalMan's gigs with The Alibi

WalMan

So here we go then. Everyone's back from hols and we are back on the road again - some months better than others

[u]2007[/u]
15 Sept - The Crown Littlehampton - Including the first outing for two new "toys" Gosh this is so exciting, I haven't had a new toy for ages & then two come along at once
28 Sept - Red Lion Stubbington
05 Oct - Cheers Bar Bognor Regis
06 Oct - The Crown Littlehampton
12 Oct - The Fountain Chichester
13 Oct - Admiral Drake Portsmouth
19 Oct - The Heroes Waterlooville
16 Nov - The Swan Woolston, Southampton
23 Nov - The Crown Littlehampton
01 Dec - The Fountain Chichester
07 Dec - Red Lion Stubbington
[u]2008[/u]
04 Jan - Cheers Bar Bognor Regis

Rock covers along the lines of Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Billy Idol, Whitesnake, Gary Moore, The Tubes, etc.

We tend to [i]try [/i]to do slightly different than the standard numbers. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

MySpace with examples below.

Say hi if you happen to make one.

Cheers
Al

[quote name='WalMan' post='57607' date='Sep 9 2007, 01:42 AM']So here we go then. Everyone's back from hols and we are back on the road again - some months better than others

[u]2007[/u]
15 Sept - The Crown Littlehampton - Including the first outing for two new "toys" Gosh this is so exciting, I haven't had a new toy for ages & then two come along at once
28 Sept - Red Lion Stubbington
05 Oct - Cheers Bar Bognor Regis
06 Oct - The Crown Littlehampton
12 Oct - The Fountain Chichester
13 Oct - Admiral Drake Portsmouth
19 Oct - The Heroes Waterlooville
16 Nov - The Swan Woolston, Southampton
23 Nov - The Crown Littlehampton
01 Dec - The Fountain Chichester
07 Dec - Red Lion Stubbington
[u]2008[/u]
04 Jan - Cheers Bar Bognor Regis

Rock covers along the lines of Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Billy Idol, Whitesnake, Gary Moore, The Tubes, etc.

We tend to [i]try [/i]to do slightly different than the standard numbers. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

MySpace with examples below.

Say hi if you happen to make one.

Cheers
Al[/quote]
Hi Al,

I'm looking forward to Sat 15th!!

New toys for you - new experience for me; i.e. seeing you play, hearing the band and seeing the Sub 5 in action... :)

Cheers

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='57818' date='Sep 9 2007, 05:37 PM']Hi Al,

I'm looking forward to Sat 15th!!

New toys for you - new experience for me; i.e. seeing you play, hearing the band and seeing the Sub 5 in action... :)

Cheers

Nik[/quote]

Hi Al,

Great gig last night - really enjoyed it thanks and it was good to watch you in action, playing the new Sub 5 and the Wal! You seemed to make the change between songs and the basses seem pretty effortless... Good backing vocals too.. For anyone who's thinking of going to see the Alibi, they are a fantastic rock band :huh:

Brilliant versions of these songs in particular..:

White Punks on Dope
All the Young Dudes
Rockin' In The Free World
I Want it All
Rebel Yell
Word Up

..amongst loads of other songs that were all excellent IMHO.

Will definitely try and get along to another gig soon.. That's a loud PA though, so I think I need to get some of those fancy new ear plugs if I can find out where to get them from?

Cheers

Nik

Edited by silverfoxnik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='61030' date='Sep 16 2007, 01:26 AM']Will definitely try and get along to another gig soon.. That's a loud PA though, so I think I need to get some of those fancy new ear plugs if I can find out where to get them from?

Cheers

Nik[/quote]
Try Specsavers. Most have a hearing centre as well.

Cheers Nik. Sorry you got cornered by Mrs Walman in the break! But just think you could walk away at the end of the night I had to take her home and she hasn't stopped talking yet :huh: Come to that I don't think she has stopped in 30 years :)

PA :huh: hmmmm yes Hopefully a clean loud though & that was the small rig

Plugs it depends what you want to spend I picked up a set that have interchangeable attenuators - so you can set how much or little you want to cut level - from the drum bit of GAK for about £20 and I think Lee in Lick has some slightly different ones for about £12-15.

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='WalMan' post='62396' date='Sep 18 2007, 10:47 PM']Cheers Nik. Sorry you got cornered by Mrs Walman in the break! But just think you could walk away at the end of the night I had to take her home and she hasn't stopped talking yet :huh: Come to that I don't think she has stopped in 30 years :)

PA :huh: hmmmm yes Hopefully a clean loud though & that was the small rig

Plugs it depends what you want to spend I picked up a set that have interchangeable attenuators - so you can set how much or little you want to cut level - from the drum bit of GAK for about £20 and I think Lee in Lick has some slightly different ones for about £12-15.[/quote]
Hi Al,

The PA sounded great and my only criticism would be that the bass could have been a bit louder in the mix, but I am biased of course! :huh:

Will check out the plug ins - thanks,

Mrs Walman was enjoying herself at the gig and that was good to see. And, as I was there by myself, it was very kind of her to take pity on a complete stranger like me...
Cheers

Nik

• 4 months later...

Another year. Another batch of gigs starting with tomorrow night in Littlehampton

26 Jan 2008 The Crown Littlehampton
1 Feb 2008 Cheers Bar Bognor Regis
9 Feb 2008 The Fountain Chichester
15 Feb 2008 The Red Lion Stubbington
22 Feb 2008 The Admiral Drake Portsmouth
4 Apr 2008 Cheers Bar Bognor Regis
18 Apr 2008 The Crown Littlehampton
19 Apr 2008 The Fountain Chichester
2 May 2008 The Red Lion Stubbington
31 May 2008 The Swan Woolston
27 Jun 2008 Cheers Bar Bognor Regis
4 Jul 2008 The Red Lion Stubbington
18 Jul 2008 The Crown Littlehampton
19 Jul 2008 The Fountain Chichester
20 Sep 2008 The Fountain Chichester
26 Sep 2008 Cheers Bar Bognor Regis
3 Oct 2008 The Red Lion Stubbington
11 Oct 2008 The Swan Woolston
17 Oct 2008 The Crown Littlehampton
21 Nov 2008 The Red Lion Stubbington
28 Nov 2008 Cheers Bar Bognor Regis
5 Dec 2008 The Swan Woolston
6 Dec 2008 The Fountain Chichester

[quote name='WalMan' post='128010' date='Jan 25 2008, 08:13 PM']Another year. Another batch of gigs starting with tomorrow night in Littlehampton

26 Jan 2008 The Crown Littlehampton
1 Feb 2008 Cheers Bar Bognor Regis
9 Feb 2008 The Fountain Chichester
15 Feb 2008 The Red Lion Stubbington
22 Feb 2008 The Admiral Drake Portsmouth
4 Apr 2008 Cheers Bar Bognor Regis
18 Apr 2008 The Crown Littlehampton
19 Apr 2008 The Fountain Chichester
2 May 2008 The Red Lion Stubbington
31 May 2008 The Swan Woolston
27 Jun 2008 Cheers Bar Bognor Regis
4 Jul 2008 The Red Lion Stubbington
18 Jul 2008 The Crown Littlehampton
19 Jul 2008 The Fountain Chichester
20 Sep 2008 The Fountain Chichester
26 Sep 2008 Cheers Bar Bognor Regis
3 Oct 2008 The Red Lion Stubbington
11 Oct 2008 The Swan Woolston
17 Oct 2008 The Crown Littlehampton
21 Nov 2008 The Red Lion Stubbington
28 Nov 2008 Cheers Bar Bognor Regis
5 Dec 2008 The Swan Woolston
6 Dec 2008 The Fountain Chichester[/quote]
Brilliant gig tonight Al and the new G&K L2500 sounded and looked great! Once you get it set up as you want it, it'll be even better... :)

The encore section was especially good; 'All The Young Dudes', 'Walk This Way', 'Word Up' and 'School's Out' - excellent! Sorry I had to miss the last song but I was absolutely cream crackered from getting in at 3am the night before from my own gig, so I decided to head off quietly before all your fans started streaming out of the pub!

Anyway, really enjoyed it and will see you soon no doubt!

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='128502' date='Jan 27 2008, 12:47 AM']Brilliant gig tonight Al and the new G&K L2500 sounded and looked great! Once you get it set up as you want it, it'll be even better... :)

The encore section was especially good; 'All The Young Dudes', 'Walk This Way', 'Word Up' and 'School's Out' - excellent! Sorry I had to miss the last song but I was absolutely cream crackered from getting in at 3am the night before from my own gig, so I decided to head off quietly before all your fans started streaming out of the pub!

Anyway, really enjoyed it and will see you soon no doubt!

Nik[/quote]
Cheers Nik. First one back for a month or so, a load of new songs (that seemed to go ok) and down to Guitar bass drums & vox as neither the keys, nor the stand in guitarist were available. Still Kev, Max & I have done enough gigs in that lineup not to worry toooooo much. The space (both sonic, and physical) is quite nice

Only missed White Punks - which they insisted on and which I did with the Wal. Most confusing as I have got used to playing it on the 5 and forgotten the positions with the Hipshot switched down on the Wal.

Yup I think once Graham has done his thing with the L2500 it will sit really nicely in the mix. Not as zingy as the SUB, well perhaps not at the mo, but it felt like a really good solid sound for the stuff we do

[quote name='clauster' post='128283' date='Jan 26 2008, 04:09 PM']So long as Mrs C's car makes it from Tunbridge Wells to Littlehampton, we'll be there. With some friends from Worthing who we've not seen in ages.[/quote]
Sorry, only just seen your post above Nik's. I have a nasty feeling you made it & I apparently blanked you :) If so sincere apologies

[quote]Sorry, only just seen your post above Nik's. I have a nasty feeling you made it & I apparently blanked you If so sincere apologies[/quote]

No worries! Did make it, but our old friends from Worthing made it too and we had three hours to catch up on all that's happened in the last 14 months, so didn't even get the chance to try and say hello to you. Great gig tho, really good FOH sound. Nice to see some "not so obvious" covers in there too (Mr Brownstone). Had to leave just as the encores started (long dive home). Gonna try and make it down again, this time without the old friends so I have more of a chance to enjoy the music and say hello at some point.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='177458' date='Apr 15 2008, 11:07 PM']Might pop along.[/quote]
That'd be good. I think Nik & Mrs S may make Friday.

This weekend we are a 5 piece with 2 guitars - as the keyboard player is not available (actually I don't think he has managed one this year :) )

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='178470' date='Apr 17 2008, 12:11 AM']Sorry mate, but my drinking companions have over-ruled me and we are going to the Duke of Wellington in Shoreham that has good bands and good beer. You should try and get a gig there.[/quote]
Ah well, never mind.

I must have a look at the Duke of Wellington. It's a bit of a trek for some of my lot as we are spread between me in LA & Sound guy near Emsworth.

We used to play there 15+ years ago & I remember it as being an odd shape & quite restricted for bands, but that could well have changed in all that time.

Good gig last night Al!

I was a bit knackered at the end of it, and that was only from watching you guys.. I bet you were completely shattered this morning!! The G&L was brilliant and some very nice playing too...

I was meant to go onto Brighton after yours to see mr russ's gig, but 2 pints of GreenKing put paid to that unfortunately (sorry Russ!!)..

Cheers

Nik

• 1 month later...

....and we're back after a short break should you be in the Woolston area of Southampton and cross the threshold of [url="http://maps.yell.com/client/yell/?&nat_id=1866892&qs=SO19+9BG&sl=false&storePC=SO19+9BG&ssm=0&companyName=The+Swan&clarifyIndex=&clarifyOptions=&replayURL=%2Fucs%2FUcsSearchAction.do%3FsearchType%3Dadvance%26companyName%3Dthe%2Bswan%26M%3D0%26ssm%3D0%26location%3Dsouthampton%26scrambleSeed%3D25765692%26potential%3D0"]The Swan[/url]

Not sure whether we are a 4 piece, one of two versions of a 5 piece, or even a 6 piece yet, but that's the fun of the occasion :)

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='WalMan' post='209928' date='May 31 2008, 12:16 AM']....and we're back after a short break should you be in the Woolston area of Southampton and cross the threshold of [url="http://maps.yell.com/client/yell/?&nat_id=1866892&qs=SO19+9BG&sl=false&storePC=SO19+9BG&ssm=0&companyName=The+Swan&clarifyIndex=&clarifyOptions=&replayURL=%2Fucs%2FUcsSearchAction.do%3FsearchType%3Dadvance%26companyName%3Dthe%2Bswan%26M%3D0%26ssm%3D0%26location%3Dsouthampton%26scrambleSeed%3D25765692%26potential%3D0"]The Swan[/url]

Not sure whether we are a 4 piece, one of two versions of a 5 piece, or even a 6 piece yet, but that's the fun of the occasion :huh:[/quote]
Good luck tonight Al,

I'm gigging tonight as well in Storrington, so will catch up with you guys at one of your next ones! Have a good one :)

Nik

• 1 month later...

Another "slight" return this weekend before the desert of gigs in August & September when everyone else buggers off on holiday.

The Crown - Littlehampton Friday 18/7
The Fountain - Chichester Saturday 19/7

Might try & get the soundguy to run the multi track both nights & see if we can get something out of the two. That'll probably put the kybosh on both then :)

Almost certainly 2 guitars again this weekend, which works nicely with the newer material. I did see the keyboard player at Spock's Beard last week and it sounds as if he may manage one or two later in the year. Trouble is he has a LOT of new stuff to learn

• 3 months later...