Why become a member? ×

Stage Monitor Wedges

HeavyJay

For our on stage vocal[b]*[/b] monitoring we use a carlsbro powerline 300 power amp. Can anyone recommend any good monitor wedges to go with this?

For info:
Our FOH is a Yamaha Stagepas 500, we use Shure S55h mics and a Studiomaster 142 desk.

Any advice gratefully received.

[b]*edited to add this word.[/b]

Edited by HeavyJay

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='543317' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:49 PM']For our on stage monitoring we use a carlsbro powerline 300 power amp. Can anyone recommend any good monitor wedges to go with this?

For info:
Our FOH is a Yamaha Stagepas 500, we use Shure S55h mics and a Studiomaster 142 desk.

Any advice gratefully received.[/quote]

Used to use Peavey ones. Don't remember the numbers but they where reasonably inexpensive and worked flawlessly - considering we blew up Mackie stuff all the time. There's a bit of an art to not getting feedback but I don't think that's a function of the wedges.

Oh...ermm! I cant remember the model number, but Wharfedale do active wedges with 15" cones. They have an EQ on them as well and differnt types of inputs, such as line and Mic XLR. I plugged a bass directly into one a while back and I have to say the sounds was pretty damn good. The top end I liked as it was polite and didnt get irritating or fatiguing when playing a CD up loud. I would say, for the price they would be on my list if I needed wedges.

[quote name='dood' post='543557' date='Jul 17 2009, 08:28 PM']Oh...ermm! I cant remember the model number, but Wharfedale do active wedges with 15" cones. They have an EQ on them as well and differnt types of inputs, such as line and Mic XLR. I plugged a bass directly into one a while back and I have to say the sounds was pretty damn good. The top end I liked as it was polite and didnt get irritating or fatiguing when playing a CD up loud. I would say, for the price they would be on my list if I needed wedges.[/quote]

Those would be actives... I used them too and they are quite good for the money. I assume he's looking for passives though - although I think those Wharfedales do come that way.

Found them
[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/PAMonitors/pid12096/cid623/WharfedaleEVPX15PMPoweredMonitor.asp"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/PAMonitors/pid1...eredMonitor.asp[/url]

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='543565' date='Jul 17 2009, 08:31 PM']Those would be actives... I used them too and they are quite good for the money. I assume he's looking for passives though - although I think those Wharfedales do come that way.[/quote]

ah ok

passive version then! lol

[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/WharfedaleEVPS15MPassiveMonitorinstock/pid12098/cid623/WharfedaleEVPS15MPassiveMonitorinstock.asp?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/WharfedaleEVPS1...=GoogleShopping[/url]

Cheers,

Dood

Once you start using vocal monitors you'll really need a 31 band graphic or 3 or 4 band parametric so that you can "ring out" your system and get rid of feedback problems. Don't try it with a 15 band - it's far too coarse.

When we first started using monitors feedback became quite a problem when trying to use them at a useful level - especially when there's a reflective wall close behind you.

We only use a cheap Behringer graphic but it's got LEDs on each fader which light up when there's a strong signal at that frequency.

Ringing out - nothing to do with digestive problems - it's about finding out the frequencies where feedback occurs. With the graphic I've got you set the system up as you want it then with the graphic set flat you turn up the monitors until feedback starts happening. The fader for the frequency that it's happening at lights up so you cut that fader. You then turn the system up again and you might get feedback at another frequency so you cut that. You can usually do that about 3 times in all after which you get feedback occurring at a couple of frequencies simultaneously. By that time you've done about as much as you can. Generally you then turn the gain down a bit and you can use your monitors quite loud without feedback.

Having said that mucking around with mic and monitor placement helps a lot but we don't often have the luxury of space!. Also, if you're just monitoring vocals it's worth cutting the bass off the monitor feed - saves power and mush!

[quote name='thinman' post='544228' date='Jul 18 2009, 07:10 PM']Once you start using vocal monitors you'll really need a 31 band graphic or 3 or 4 band parametric so that you can "ring out" your system and get rid of feedback problems. Don't try it with a 15 band - it's far too coarse.

When we first started using monitors feedback became quite a problem when trying to use them at a useful level - especially when there's a reflective wall close behind you.

We only use a cheap Behringer graphic but it's got LEDs on each fader which light up when there's a strong signal at that frequency.

Ringing out - nothing to do with digestive problems - it's about finding out the frequencies where feedback occurs. With the graphic I've got you set the system up as you want it then with the graphic set flat you turn up the monitors until feedback starts happening. The fader for the frequency that it's happening at lights up so you cut that fader. You then turn the system up again and you might get feedback at another frequency so you cut that. You can usually do that about 3 times in all after which you get feedback occurring at a couple of frequencies simultaneously. By that time you've done about as much as you can. Generally you then turn the gain down a bit and you can use your monitors quite loud without feedback.

Having said that mucking around with mic and monitor placement helps a lot but we don't often have the luxury of space!. Also, if you're just monitoring vocals it's worth cutting the bass off the monitor feed - saves power and mush![/quote]

+1. Exactly the way to do it. Although I used to get people shouting at me about making feedback noises. But if you want to make an omelette you have to break some eggs. Graphics with peak LEDs make the difference if you don't have a magic ear for spotting frequencies.

Delighted to see this thread-if it had not appeared I was just about to start one with the exact same question. I just bought a small vocal PA (Phonic Soundpod 700) which for the one gig we've used it for, worked brilliantly. Would have been nice to get something bigger and better, but cash and time did not permit. We've been borrowing a very similar Peavey setup for a while. I'm currently still borrowing monitors, but plan on getting my own soon. Any ideas on minimum wattage, or whether it's best to go with passive or active, or passive slaved to active? Advice on what brands would also be handy-it appears you can get cheapish own-brand ones which seem to have a lot for the money, but are they any good? I'm debating whether to get two cheaper ones together, or get one decent active one and get another passive slave at a later date-actually as I write this, I think I already know the answer, but comments invited.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='544366' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:00 PM']Delighted to see this thread-if it had not appeared I was just about to start one with the exact same question. I just bought a small vocal PA (Phonic Soundpod 700) which for the one gig we've used it for, worked brilliantly. Would have been nice to get something bigger and better, but cash and time did not permit. We've been borrowing a very similar Peavey setup for a while. I'm currently still borrowing monitors, but plan on getting my own soon. Any ideas on minimum wattage, or whether it's best to go with passive or active, or passive slaved to active? Advice on what brands would also be handy-it appears you can get cheapish own-brand ones which seem to have a lot for the money, but are they any good? I'm debating whether to get two cheaper ones together, or get one decent active one and get another passive slave at a later date-actually as I write this, I think I already know the answer, but comments invited.[/quote]

For a small setup, I would recommend active ones. A lot less stuff to carry around and to wire up. Again, the likes of Peavey and Wharfedale are good value and work. A graphic is a good investment for all the above reasons. You'll struggle if you don't have decent directional mics too. It all can all meg mega complicated with different desks for monitor mixes and all sorts of horrors.