Why become a member? ×

Amp power/cab power/ohmage

Marky L

Ok, I know this is dumb, but my confused old head just ain't working right!

I have an Ashdown head - 500W at 4 ohms
This goes in to a 1x15 - 300W and a 4 x 8 - 600W (both 8 ohms)

So, if I turn the amp up full (forget the fact that it's likely to get a bit dodgy on 10) what actual wattage is going in to each cab (in theory)?
Am I putting 250W into each to get the 500W total?

My concern is if I do push the loud knob up near the top, am I going to overload the 15" speaker.

Ta muchly
M

[quote name='Marky L' post='542965' date='Jul 17 2009, 08:58 AM']Am I putting 250W into each to get the 500W total?[/quote]

Yes.

[quote name='Marky L' post='542965' date='Jul 17 2009, 08:58 AM']My concern is if I do push the loud knob up near the top, am I going to overload the 15" speaker.[/quote]

You'll hear it distorting long before it actually breaks. There will be no doubt in your mind that it is one very unhappy speaker.

S.P.

[quote name='Marky L' post='542970' date='Jul 17 2009, 09:04 AM']Thanks for that, so I have a little headroom. The annoying voice in my head was telling me the 15 would be overloaded ![/quote]

The 300W rating on the 115 is a thermal limit. This means that it's been tested over many hours with an average power of 300W (peak power probably far more than this) and the voice coil hasn't melted. You're more likely to destroy that 15 with overexcursion by ignoring distortion.

S.P.