Why become a member? ×

Tech21 VT Bass & Aguilar Tone Hammer

project_c

Apologies for the crap photos, both pedals are in perfect condition, both bought brand new, I'm sure they need no introduction, they are both fantastic pedals. I need to get some money together for a new amp soon so unfortunately they need to go.

Aguilar Tone Hammer - £120 (*sold pending usual*)
Tech21 VT Bass - £100 (*sold pending usual*)

I'm in Central / North London, if you're nearby I don't mind doing a drop-off, otherwise please add cost of postage too. PM if you need more pics / details / etc..

[attachment=28974:vt.jpg]

[attachment=28975:th.jpg]

Edited by project_c

In answer to your questions:

- nope the Tone Hammer doesn't come with a power supply. (but as far as I could tell it doesn't eat batteries like some other pedals).

- comparing the 2 pedals:
They have very different characteristics so I'm not sure if I can make a direct comparison, but here's what I thought: the VTBass sounded brilliant with my jazz bass and it does a very respectable impression of the classic Ampeg sound, but it's good for loads of other things too, I found it pretty versatile. I now primarily play a Corvette $$ which IMO doesn't need the Ampeg beef so much because the bass is already very boomy and growly, so since playing the Corvette as my primary bass it hasn't had so much use. (I have to use a Boss EQ with the Corvette to surgically remove all that boomy crap, but it's worth it).
The Tone Hammer is a very solid and chunky pedal, it's well built and sturdy, it feels and sounds 'expensive'. It's very analog sounding, and I used it as a DI box at a couple of gigs, which made my bass sound suitably growly and fat through the PA. It can be used as a gentle EQ and tone-shaper, but with the AGS switch engaged the Gain control goes into tube overdrive mode, which sounds subtly fuzzy at low levels, and raw and dirty when it's turned up. Sounds amazing if you play with a pick and like a raw but confident and tight bass tone. (In fact this pedal made me wish I wasn't so sh!t at playing with a pick..)

This is all just my own experience and opinion, but I genuinely think they're both cool pedals. I would definately keep them if I didn't need a new amp.

• 2 weeks later...

yep, the Corvette $$ definately doesn't need any bottom end boost. it took me a while to figure out how to get the right sound from it, the key for me is to subtract from it, and not boost any of it, apart from maybe around 1k to bring out the high mids a bit. but i tend to eq out the boomy bit just above sub level and anything clangy at the top almost completely.

anyway i digress... both pedals are now *sold*, many thanks to everyone involved.

[quote name='project_c' post='552266' date='Jul 27 2009, 02:24 AM']yep, the Corvette $$ definately doesn't need any bottom end boost. it took me a while to figure out how to get the right sound from it, the key for me is to subtract from it, and not boost any of it, apart from maybe around 1k to bring out the high mids a bit. but i tend to eq out the boomy bit just above sub level and anything clangy at the top almost completely.

anyway i digress... both pedals are now *sold*, many thanks to everyone involved.[/quote]

On my Corvette (j/j) I replaced the pups because I missed that 800-1k sting, and Seymour Duncan did the job greatly