Why become a member? ×

Compact in a dual-amp rig

Finbar

Okay, so I'm currently looking at shaking up my rig a little. I use 2 Schroeder 1212Ls - one smooth and clean, the other driven and effected.

I really like the 1212L for the driven sound, but it lacks a little in low end for the clean one I feel. Also, I'm having to drive my poweramp to the point of clipping to get the volume I want out of it without it starting to fart out (partly because its at floor level while the other cab is sat above it, more audibly). So I was thinking of replacing it, and the Barefaced cabs seem a credible option.

For the purpose of replacing like-for-like (space is a consideration), I'm thinking of the Compact. I don't need the midrange and treble the tweeter on the larger cabs give you - that all comes from the first Schroeder cab. Does that sound like the right cab for what I'm doing? I don't have the space for anything bigger.

I'm currently running each Schroeder at 375W at 4 ohms each from a QSC PLX1202. If one Schroeder is still running at that level, but the Barefaced cab on the second channel is running at 200W (I think) at 8 ohms, will it still keep up with the Schroeder I am using now for my clean signal, and surpass it in levels? That's the most important question, as if it won't, then this is all a bit pointless!

Secondly, with regards to stacking - I'm a sucker for aesthetics. The Compact laid sideways will only be a couple of inches wider than the Schroeder sitting on top of it. I think I can cope with that. However, the Schroeder is still 3 inches deeper than the Compact, and I don't think I can cope with having a cab which overhangs the one below it! Can anyone see any way round that at all? I know Alex won't make a cab with different dimensions, so I wouldn't ask him to!

Cheers

Just another thought to throw into the murky pool...

If you're getting all the top end you need via your "dirty" channel + Schroeder cab, then perhaps the other channel might be better served with one of Alex's Big Sub cabinets. This is, like the Compact, a single 15" cab, but (afaik) uses a different driver more dedicated to low frequencies. Essentially it's the Big One without the midrange driver.

For your purposes, I would guess that the differences from the Compact might be the following:

CONs:
- Marginally more expensive (£450 rather than £400, according to the website)
- I don't think he's actually made any of them yet!

PROs:
- Deeper bottom end
- May also possibly solve your aesthetic issue with stacking the deeper Schroeder (16") on top of the shallower Compact (13.5")
Not certain on this as there's no dimensions for the Big Sub on the website, but I'm guessing that, as part of the "Big" series, it may share the 16" depth of the Big One...?
Don't know about its height, but possibly, without the midrange section of the Big One, it might be a similar height to the Compact (25.5")...?
So, stacked on its side with the Schroeder (23.5"). this might work ok...?
Disclaimer: this stuff about dimensions is really just guesswork; I'll have to rely on Alex correcting anything that's wildly wrong! :)

cheers

[quote name='paulbuzz' post='537684' date='Jul 11 2009, 05:07 AM']Just another thought to throw into the murky pool...

If you're getting all the top end you need via your "dirty" channel + Schroeder cab, then perhaps the other channel might be better served with one of Alex's Big Sub cabinets. This is, like the Compact, a single 15" cab, but (afaik) uses a different driver more dedicated to low frequencies. Essentially it's the Big One without the midrange driver.

For your purposes, I would guess that the differences from the Compact might be the following:

CONs:
- Marginally more expensive (£450 rather than £400, according to the website)
- I don't think he's actually made any of them yet!

PROs:
- Deeper bottom end
- May also possibly solve your aesthetic issue with stacking the deeper Schroeder (16") on top of the shallower Compact (13.5")
Not certain on this as there's no dimensions for the Big Sub on the website, but I'm guessing that, as part of the "Big" series, it may share the 16" depth of the Big One...?
Don't know about its height, but possibly, without the midrange section of the Big One, it might be a similar height to the Compact (25.5")...?
So, stacked on its side with the Schroeder (23.5"). this might work ok...?
Disclaimer: this stuff about dimensions is really just guesswork; I'll have to rely on Alex correcting anything that's wildly wrong! :)

cheers[/quote]

The Big Sub is exactly a Big one without the midrange driver/enclosure, so it goes fractionally lower due to increased volume, should be ideal, is one of the plans for my biamp rig.

I did consider the Big Sub actually. Wouldn't mind some actual dimensions on it!

Something that I keep coming back to is that Something like the Big Sub is going to want more power to run it effectively at volume than my Schroeder, isn't it, surely? Just to move that much low end. Guess I won't know until I try it really.

[quote name='Finbar' post='538509' date='Jul 12 2009, 02:43 PM']I did consider the Big Sub actually. Wouldn't mind some actual dimensions on it!

Something that I keep coming back to is that Something like the Big Sub is going to want more power to run it effectively at volume than my Schroeder, isn't it, surely? Just to move that much low end. Guess I won't know until I try it really.[/quote]

[quote]Dimensions: 29.5" high x 21" wide x 16" deep[/quote]

[quote name='Finbar' post='539049' date='Jul 13 2009, 01:44 AM']That's assuming it is the same height as the Big One, right?[/quote]

Alex has stated it is a Big one, just without the midrange enclosure. Its not totally clear on the big sub description on the website, as its under description of the Big One.

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't that - I don't want the bottom cab shallower than the top one for stability purposes - something inside tells me that is so wrong! Hah. Even though I know an inch or two would make very little difference, its the peace of mind that I won't knock it over so easily (accidents can happen!)

I am thinking of upgrading my power amp though. Very happy with my PLX1202 under normal circumstances, so I could just do with a higher powered one of them I guess.

[quote name='Finbar' post='548990' date='Jul 23 2009, 03:01 PM']It isn't that - I don't want the bottom cab shallower than the top one for stability purposes - something inside tells me that is so wrong! Hah. Even though I know an inch or two would make very little difference, its the peace of mind that I won't knock it over so easily (accidents can happen!)[/quote]

All cabs are front heavy because that's where the drivers are, so even with a few inches difference in depth the centre of gravity is perfectly stably positioned. I used to get people saying that my dual Acme Low-B2 vertical stack looked unsafe - it wasn't at all. If something crazy enough is going to happen to knock a rig over, then it'll fall over whatever you do!

[quote name='Finbar' post='548990' date='Jul 23 2009, 03:01 PM']I am thinking of upgrading my power amp though. Very happy with my PLX1202 under normal circumstances, so I could just do with a higher powered one of them I guess.[/quote]

Even a PLX2 1804 will do serious damage with a Big One on one channel. Or an old 3402.

Alex