Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Blazer refinish

mr pablo

I've got a hold of a 1980 Ibanez blazer that has been refinshed in the past (not very well) in a kinda pale metalic ish blue, plans are a foot to change its appearance but i'd like to know if i would be able to get away with staining the wood once its all been sanded back (and any dings sorted) before using nitro laquer to finish it off?

I've been thinking of a black stain with a shiny new 3ply blk/wht/black scratchplate from wd music

Any hints tips help on finding stuff would be great also I'll keep ya updated with any pics as i progress . . . . .

here's how it looks now :)

[attachment=28461:blazer.JPG]

Do you know what colour it was to begin with? If it was a solid colour, it's probably made up of errr 'less than pretty' slabs of wood and mightn't look so good natural. Having said that, a lot of Blazers were natural to begin with so it might look great back in it's original state.

[url="http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/lacquer.html"]This guy[/url] sells nitro in a rattle-can, and has some good tips too.

Good luck - be sure to post pics when it's done.

Pluck

[quote name='sgt-pluck' post='535104' date='Jul 7 2009, 08:44 PM']Do you know what colour it was to begin with? If it was a solid colour, it's probably made up of errr 'less than pretty' slabs of wood and mightn't look so good natural. Having said that, a lot of Blazers were natural to begin with so it might look great back in it's original state.

[url="http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/lacquer.html"]This guy[/url] sells nitro in a rattle-can, and has some good tips too.

Good luck - be sure to post pics when it's done.

Pluck[/quote]

Twas transparent brown or traditional violin as it was called so the wood might not be all that bad, i have had a look some natural ones and they do look awsesome like [url="http://www.gbase.com/files/store_images/gear/2108693/p2_uo5u4qrcp_so.jpg"]THis[/url]

[quote name='budget bassist' post='535216' date='Jul 7 2009, 10:20 PM']nice one, you get that off ebay? i was thinking of having a punt on that. I always loved that trans brown colour that a lot of the old ibbys used to come in personally.[/quote]

Nope I got it in the classifieds as a swap deal :)

I think i'm gonna get the finish off it before i make up my mind but keep the ideas coming in

Right I've bit the bullet and I'm going to stain the wood black and then use tung oil as the finish on the bass (way easier due to lack of space/tools etc) still going with the 3ply blk/wht/blk scratchplate.

Any tips on oil finishes?

sanding will start later on today once i've taken a trip to homebase for some essentials

will post progress piccys