Why become a member? ×

A Few Novice Sring Replacement Questions

silentbob

Hi all, i have just purchased a second hand Vintage V900 Active Bass and i need to replace the strings. Being new(ish) to all this, i have a couple of questions.
1) I have noticed that the E string sounds slightly muted/less bright than the other strings when played from the seventh fret up. Is this just because the strings are knackered, or could it point towards a more serious problem?
2) While the strings are off, i'd like to give the neck and frets a clean. Are there any particular products that should be used, and any that should be avoided?
3) Is there a proper method for replacing strings, is it as easy as it looks or should i get a shop to do it for me?
4) And finally that old gem "What strings should i buy?" I'm leaning towards some of the Ernie Ball Slinky strings, but i'm unsure which type. If it's of any help, i'm going to be playing (i hope) everything from punk and hard rock, to folk and pop, so i guess i need an allround set.
Any advice welcome, thanks in advance.
Rob

Someone who knows what they're talking about will be along shortly. Until then, here's my 2p worth:

1. Probably just knackered strings. Pop a new set on, see how it sounds, and take it from there.
2. There are loads of products on the market, but I've never used them. I've just sprayed a little furniture polish onto a clean duster and give it a good rub with that.
3. It's pretty straightforward. When you trim the new strings make sure you leave enough to wrap around the posts a couple of times. And always be sure to wind them DOWN from the top of the post, not up from the bottom.
4. General purpose strings? You won't go far wrong with a set of Elite Stadiums, 45-105.

:)

1) I have noticed that the E string sounds slightly muted/less bright than the other strings when played from the seventh fret up. Is this just because the strings are knackered, or could it point towards a more serious problem?
A) Stick a new set of strings on and you'll eliminate much of the doubt.

2) While the strings are off, i'd like to give the neck and frets a clean. Are there any particular products that should be used, and any that should be avoided?
A) Lemon oil for the fingerboard (I assume it isn't a lacquered maple board) and the back of the neck a soft dry cloth, which if it is very dirty/gunky then as suggested a 'little' squirt of polish on a cloth and give it a wipe (or just use the cloth impregnated with lemon oil that you used on the fingerboard.

3) Is there a proper method for replacing strings, is it as easy as it looks or should i get a shop to do it for me?
A) I'm sure there is a link in the Wiki with regard to changing strings but it is pretty easy, I could try and explain it but pictures make it far easier than words. Don't get a shop to do it they'll charge you for the pleasure (which it is) and you'll learn more about your own instrument if you learn to do it yourself.

4) And finally that old gem "What strings should i buy?" I'm leaning towards some of the Ernie Ball Slinky strings, but i'm unsure which type. If it's of any help, i'm going to be playing (i hope) everything from punk and hard rock, to folk and pop, so i guess i need an allround set.
A) I'd suggest a set of round-wounds and I'd not worry just now about getting the most expensive. Medium gauge 40-100 would probably suit you until you decide if you want heavier or lighter. In fact I have a few sets of the very reasonable nickel Hartke strings (bought off eBay as a deal), which if you are just starting out will likely suit you and they didn't cost the earth. Drop me a PM if you'd like to try a brand new set and you can have them at cost price; about a fiver.