Why become a member? ×

Newtone 'Drop C' 105-46 strings

Lifer

I have my Spector LX35 tuned to C G C F with 5 string elite stadiums 130 - 105 - 85 - 65 but have just received a couple of sets of Newtone 'Drop C' 105 - 85 - 65 - 46 (off the top of my head).

These are handmade strings with a thicker core, and apparently tension @ low C won't be an issue. While I wait for a new nut from Spector (whose customer service has been awesome as always!) I was just wondering what tonal differences I can expect? I've always felt the 130 dies off quite quickly so hopefully I'll get a more consistent tone across the set?

I will of course provide a full review when I've got the nut, but was just wondering what people's thoughts were while I wait...

Edited by Lifer

Drop C with a 105 string? I dont pretend to jinx it, but I would expect a very wooly, undefined tone with such a gauge, despite the inner core. Certainly thicker strings die faster, but at least they have a decent tension and tone until they need to be replaced.

• 1 month later...

Got them on a couple of weeks ago but only had the first loud practise with them on sunday. Very impressed.

Needed a full setup which was easy enough (truss rod, action and intonation) and although they are a bit slacker than the 135s I was using the tone is so much better! Not as woomphy as the thicker strings but still a nice thick low end, definitely more defined on the lower frets on the low C as well. Need to play with the EQ a bit now.

I'll update as I play them but first impressions are very, very good.

Hey dude, great to see you're getting on with them! :)

I feel sorry for those who get wooly sound tuned down that low, I get nothing but clarity, growl and girth down there with those strings.
I tune C, F, Bb, Eb and play with fingers on the bridge p'up of my humbuckered Jazz

Si

Being custom winds, they can do any tension you want, just tell them the tuning you want to use primarily and any problems you had before...and they'll do their best!

Be aware though, especially for those going for C tunings and lower, that very high tension strings probably won't tune up to standard...and if they get there, probably would feel waaaayyyy to tight. Drop D should be fine though, haven't tried.

Si

NewTone strings are AWESOME! - They wound a 145 string for me that was designed to tune down to F# . Sure it was a skinny string, but it DID work!

a big +1 for a great team who are very helpful.