Why become a member? ×

PUP Advice please...

Pete1967

Folks,

I've just ordered my second bass of Jon Shuker and I'm pretty sorted on the spec, with the exception of PUP selection - so I'm hoping that the good followers of Basschat will share their wisdom with me.

The bass will be a 5 string BO with White Ash body, maple top, Jon's great laminate neck and a Ziricote fretboard. 3 band Mk2 EQ, Black Gotoh resolite hardware.

I'm decided on an MM/J PUP config and I'm rapidly narrowing to either SD (Basslines) Alnico MM and Hot for Jazz J, or Delano MC5HE/JC5HE. THe MM would be split/series/parallel.

When Jon asked me to desribe the sound I wanted the best I could think of was "Flea does Marcus" - so big bottom, plenty of growly mid lows and some sparkling highs when needed, but mellow enough to let me off the odd players indiscretion :)

Any thoughts about my option choices or other recommendations? Wizard? Other custom?

TIA for any help.

I've got the Delano MM/J active/passive hybrids on my Shuker and would highly recommend them. Very versatile, and some excellent Stingray and Jazz sounds. I would have thought they would fit your Flea meets Marcus criteria perfectly. You get some really good tones, run active or passive.

If i were you I would made exactly the same choice.

MM alnico and sjb-2

The reasons are:

1) you need a single coil with high output, otherwise it might be overwhelmed by the humbucker.
2) I was an obsessive "pimp up my bass" guy, and I tried a lot of PUPS. Both Alnico and MM and Sjb-2,as SD web page claims, have a rough mid sound, and they suit perfectly with the typical "sleeky shade" which is given by active electronics.

Sjb 2 aren't my favourite pups by SD, great growly sound but a bit darker maybe, and they are noisy with passive electronic. However, they were perfect when I used them through an active electronic(which cancels the single coil noise).