Why become a member? ×

Packing a Bass?

lemoley

Hey guys, hows it going - long time no speak?

Anyways, as some of you may remember a while ago i posted a link to a Bass that I am seeling on eBay and it sold. So my questions is:-

How would one go around and packaging a Bass? I mean are there like special boxes you can get at the Post Office or is it going to have to be a case of simply getting hold of lots of boxes and sticking them all together?

Any suggestions greatly welcomed

Cheers, Mike :)

I always try and price in a hard case if I am posting the bass. They can be had very cheap and are well worth it for piece of mind. However if you cannot, I find packing the bass into a box (the ones that come with cheap basses inside) with foam blocks at each end and supporting the neck, taped up and surrounded with bubble wrap and slid into another box with the gig bag inside and then padded with more bubble wrap and newspaper is a good idea.

ped

Good advice from Ped - cardboard bass boxes can usually be picked up for nowt from your local instrument emporium - they just chuck 'em away anyway.

I usually use lots & lots of bubble wrap, I also have some laminate flooring boards which can be cut to length & taped to the bass to reinforce the neck. A good idea is to remove a bolt-on neck (make sure your buyer's OK with this first!) & make a smaller, harder-to-smash package.

Jon.

When I sold my Thumb 5BO, it was with a Rockbag gig bag.
I went to music shops and asking if boxes were available. They usually have some due to the many basses they receive. Then filled with bass, old newspapers, bubble paper and some hard paper tubes which came from the exhaust plotter paper rolls.
Bombproof! :)