Why become a member? ×

Eden VT~.40 - Classic head with Demeter Valve Pre-Amp

molan

Ok everyone, here's an interesting little baby full of classic valve goodness without weighing a ton!

This is an early Eden head that came fitted with a genuine Demeter pre-amp. Rumour has it that David Eden had to drop the Demeter because it was simply too expensive to fit one in one of his production heads. Only 'name' player I've heard about with one of these is Mike Watt - who's a pretty cool bass guy I think :)

Basic specs are:
400w into 4 ohms
4 Band EQ with switchable frequencies (more on these later)
Compressor "Studio Quality" with variable controls for threshold and ratio
Effects Loop
Active & Passive inputs
Variable direct out

There's a full user manual here : [url="http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/manuals/pdf/VT25-VT40-VT75%20-%20Owners%20Manual.pdf"]http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/manua...rs%20Manual.pdf[/url]

It's been recently serviced and had a full valve test and is in generally great condition. Has a few nicks here & there from where it's been in and out of racks but it was made in '92 and personally I think they just add some 'mojo', lol. The front panel is very clean indeed and all the knobs etc. look pretty much perfect.

The only downside that I can find is that it has a low frequency 'hum' from the transformer at very low volumes. Once the master volume is beyond about 9 o'clock the hum fades away. Again, on a purely personal basis, this hum doesn't bother me once I start playing as it just disappears below the volume of the bass itself, even at very low volumes.

So - on to the funky tone control options. . .

The first thing to say is that I'd defy anyone to get a 'bad' sound out of this amp! The tone controls themselves are very gentle and allow a really precise 'sculpting' of each individual frequency. However the really cool functions are the four flick switch options for each tone control.

Simply flicking each switch changes the frequency at which the controls work but also changes the actual sound of the amp itself. There's a partial explanation of some of this in the user manual. My personal favourite is the mid frequency switch - flicking from 240 Hz to 480 Hz instantly delivers a great growly tone which would be great for rocky stuff. The closest I've heard to this sound was my old Trace all valve pre & power combination into a 'classic' Trace 4x10. However this amp seems able to get that tone from a much wider variety of speaker combinations. Each of the switches have very funky looking green or red lights embedded in the tip of them (depending on whether they are set in 'up' or 'down' position) :rolleyes:

The compressor is great as well. Very flexible & helps to round out transient peaks without overpowering the sound.

The core sound of the head is very smooth with a nice vintagey valve tone. Has loads of bottom end thump if required but can sizzle & zing at the top end as well if required. It really is, to my ears, a very seductive sound all round. Has that great effect of making just about any bass sound seriously nice & definitely brings out nuances of individual players. It almost makes my Epifani sound a little antiseptic & that's something I never thought I'd say!

The only reason I've decided to sell this is because it's really designed to work in a rack (the 'ears' aren't removable) & my Epi fits neatly into a small gig bag. I also use the twin channel footswitchable option on the Epi in my functions band for switching between old school soul & auto-wah disco stuff :lol:

May be up for trades on basses but not really looking for any amp or cab offers at the moment.

Any questions - fire away. I may not be able to answer them but I'll do the best I can!

Edited by molan

Ok, not much movement on this so I've knocked £50 off the price :)

Have been playing it a lot the last couple of days, sounds great with the valve pre up at around 2 o'clock & the main output wound down to 9 o'clock & then some mids boosted at 480Hz.

Using my Spector into this and then onto a pair of Berg 1x12's this gives a really nice driving growl - I ahve a feeling I may be upsetting my neighbours a little :rolleyes:

Hard to explain but this sounds louder than a 400w head should, maybe it's just because it's able to push such a clean signal through the Demeter pre into the power stage!

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='528870' date='Jun 30 2009, 05:43 PM']Hey Barrie,

Looks like a lovely bit of kit. If I can move my Epifani UL902c I may well be back for this.

Bump for a great amp. And a sound bloke to deal with.[/quote]
+1 for Barrie

I have looked at two amps on here today. Which ones do you think they were? :)

[quote name='bythesea' post='528872' date='Jun 30 2009, 05:45 PM']+1 for Barrie

I have looked at two amps on here today. Which ones do you think they were? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Thank you my friend, with the most, from the coast :)

[quote name='fede162162' post='532720' date='Jul 5 2009, 01:40 AM']This is a great piece of gear!!,such a shame there aren´t no excuses for having 2 amps.[/quote]

I think I have 5 amps in total!

No excuses needed here, lol.