Why become a member? ×

Band In Box

Faithless

So, my tutor showed me this amazing program, and I'm working on in a lot as I like it very much, but, as I'm 5-string player (low B ), here's the question...

Is there some sort of option, that allows the program to generate a bassline for 5-string instrument - cuz they're basically generated for 4-string, as you know?..

But, as Band-in-Box looks quite a smart thing, I thought, I could ask you, chaps..

P.S. I'm using a 2006 or 2007 version, if it makes any sense here..

Cheers,
Faith.

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='522761' date='Jun 24 2009, 05:33 PM']So, my tutor showed me this amazing program, and I'm working on in a lot as I like it very much, but, as I'm 5-string player (low B ), here's the question...

Is there some sort of option, that allows the program to generate a bassline for 5-string instrument - cuz they're basically generated for 4-string, as you know?..

But, as Band-in-Box looks quite a smart thing, I thought, I could ask you, chaps..

P.S. I'm using a 2006 or 2007 version, if it makes any sense here..

Cheers,
Faith.[/quote]

Band in a Box is an amazing tool for a musician. For the money, it is probably IMO the best addition to a musicians computer that you could ever buy.

It will definitely do what you want. Band in a box can be programmed to produce a bass line for any chord sequence in any range you want.

But you will be better off using it as a learning tool and manufacturing your own. It will help you to do that too :)

[url="http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq4.htm"]http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq4.htm[/url]

[quote]61. Why does Band-in-a-Box generate notes below low E (E2) on a bass?

You can set the lowest bass note in the Opt. | Preferences | Arrange dialog. If you have set your lowest bass note to E2, which is the default setting, Band-in-a-Box will not play any bass notes below E2, with one exception: Band-in-a-Box occasionally produces a short low bass note (usually an octave below the root) to simulate a muted bass note on the third triplet of a walking bass line. These short notes don't get displayed in notation, but do get played.[/quote]

don't personally have the version you have... I'm still running an old version I bought ten years ago...

so in the above it would appear you have to set your lowest Bass note to B2 to use those few notes below E2

Paul, thank you very much, matey, I'll try it and tell, how it goes! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Eight' post='522880' date='Jun 24 2009, 09:47 PM']One question - as a bassist, wouldn't you want to turn the bass track off and play your own?[/quote]

Well, when using B-i-B, playing 'on my own' isn't my goal actually - Nowadays I'm trying to improve my reading skills, that's why I don't turn it off - it also helps to [i]know[/i], if I have made any mistakes..

[quote name='rslaing' post='522905' date='Jun 24 2009, 10:10 PM']But you will be better off using it as a learning tool and manufacturing your own. It will help you to do that too :)[/quote]

What do you mean by that, mate? All I'm using B-i-B is for learning issues, what more can it be used for, at the end, eh? :lol:

Can't help you with increasing the number of low Bs unfortunately.

I don't rate BiB that much to be honest - except as a tool for me to practice improvising with. At that, it is absolutely wonderful. I fire it up, punch in a chord sequence, pick a style, turn off the bass track, and I have something ideal for improvising over. And I can try new chord progressions, styles etc. with a couple of clicks.

[quote name='Eight' post='524103' date='Jun 25 2009, 08:41 PM']Can't help you with increasing the number of low Bs unfortunately.

I don't rate BiB that much to be honest - except as a tool for me to practice improvising with. At that, it is absolutely wonderful. I fire it up, punch in a chord sequence, pick a style, turn off the bass track, and I have something ideal for improvising over. And I can try new chord progressions, styles etc. with a couple of clicks.[/quote]
One of the things that quite impressed me with BiaB 2007 was its ability to take a ripped audio track (wav or mp3) and produce a chord chart for it. You need to define the first 'beat 1' that you want it to count from and off it goes. If the music is not in strict enough time at the end of a verse or chorus, it can lose or gain a bar, so the 'play along' is not completely synchronised, but if you are writing out your own version, you can correct that problem as you do so.

With regard to muting the bass part, sometimes it is interesting to listen to what 'another bass player' would do with that piece of music.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='524146' date='Jun 25 2009, 09:49 PM']With regard to muting the bass part, sometimes it is interesting to listen to what 'another bass player' would do with that piece of music.[/quote]
Oh I can see that.

I just need to worry more about what I would do with it at the minute. :)