Why become a member? ×

Artist Signature bass

Tait

The JJ Burnell... I've read the specs and stuff, but all in all its just a P Bass really isn't it? Please correct my if I'm wrong, but doesn't that cost a hell of a lot more than going out and buying a Fender P bass for pretty much the same?

But on the other hand, it is a cool bass. JJ Burnell is an excellent bass player, too. I love the sound he has on Peaches.

[quote name='lwtait' post='57553' date='Sep 8 2007, 10:13 PM']The JJ Burnell... I've read the specs and stuff, but all in all its just a P Bass really isn't it? Please correct my if I'm wrong, but doesn't that cost a hell of a lot more than going out and buying a Fender P bass for pretty much the same?

But on the other hand, it is a cool bass. JJ Burnell is an excellent bass player, too. I love the sound he has on Peaches.[/quote]

True, but then again aren't a lot of signature models existing designs tweaked by the manufacturer to a particular artist's specifications, then marketed to the general public? I would hope that the Shuker version would be a darn sight better put together than your average Fender, even the USA ones, and I like the sound of the louder than usual overwound pickup. Most unlikely that I'll ever be buying one, but if I had a few spare quid...

[quote name='lwtait' post='57430' date='Sep 8 2007, 05:09 PM']I don't think I've ever seen your seven string dood. Any pics?[/quote]

LOL! You are one of the few that hasn't! ;o) - I like to take the *odd* opportunity to tell the good bass playing folk about my 'doodle'.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3746"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3746[/url]

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='57537' date='Sep 8 2007, 09:32 PM']Shuker J.J. Burnel-surprise, eh?

[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/jjburnel.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/jjburnel.htm[/url][/quote]

[quote name='lwtait' post='57553' date='Sep 8 2007, 10:13 PM']The JJ Burnell... I've read the specs and stuff, but all in all its just a P Bass really isn't it? Please correct my if I'm wrong, but doesn't that cost a hell of a lot more than going out and buying a Fender P bass for pretty much the same?
But on the other hand, it is a cool bass. JJ Burnell is an excellent bass player, too. I love the sound he has on Peaches.[/quote]

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='57568' date='Sep 8 2007, 10:32 PM']True, but then again aren't a lot of signature models existing designs tweaked by the manufacturer to a particular artist's specifications, then marketed to the general public? I would hope that the Shuker version would be a darn sight better put together than your average Fender, even the USA ones, and I like the sound of the louder than usual overwound pickup. Most unlikely that I'll ever be buying one, but if I had a few spare quid...[/quote]

The Shuker JJ is indeed essentially a Fender, in that JJ specifically asked Jon to take all the best parts of 2 of his favourite basses and create a new bass based on those. However, an off the rack Fender and an 'off the rack' Shuker are 2 different beasts! (You only have to see the build threads to get an idea where I am coming from)

[quote name='andy67' post='57841' date='Sep 9 2007, 06:36 PM']dood...

you know that there is an attached stigma in using signature basses,[/quote]
lol Damn that Dan Veall bloke! lol

[quote]do you think john shuker would build a yamaha attitude type bass to my spec?[/quote]

yes yes yes yes and in case that didnt come across clearly.. YES! ;o)

[quote name='lwtait' post='58328' date='Sep 10 2007, 05:30 PM']Dood, that is one seriously nice bass! And I don't normally like single cuts.[/quote]

Thank you so much! I love it to bits! The second one is going to be..ehem.. eye catching, to say the least ;o)

[quote name='andy67' post='58347' date='Sep 10 2007, 05:58 PM']dood - you the man!

I will call john shuker and have a chat re this.....

ta

andy[/quote]

Yes, do! He's a damn good chap. Don't feel let down though if you have a few probs getting through on the phone.. he's the only person in the workshop at the mo.. and no doubt working a noisey machine! ;o)