Why become a member? ×

help advice on finishing a alder/fmae maple body

attackbass

Hey

I'm finishing an alder body with a flame maple top from warmoth. I've stained the body a light stain to help bring out the flame... but I've had to do this a few times now - as the first time I did it - i suddenly noticed strange writing on the body, so i wire wooled it down and stained it again and more writing was appearing - suddenly clocked on that it was the newspaper I had the body on - idiot - so wire wooled it down and dyed it again -

This has left me with a finish i think is too dark now on the body and from the use of wire wool the body looks scratchy around the lower and upper horns/neck poclet area and at the bass of the body where the strap pin would be -

How would you advise me to lighten up the finish and reduce the scratching marks on the body - using a fine grade of wire wool?

I'm going to apply a clear nitro gloss to the body as well.... i'm wondering if that will hide any of these scratches as they seem to disappear when i wet the body.

Please help - i'm new to this!

Have a read of [url="http://home.flash.net/~guitars/ReRanch101.html"]THIS[/url] - especially the section called 'Wood Preparation'

I'm sure someone on here has a better link or can tell you much better than that can, but there are worse places to start. Don't be too keen to get it finished as quickly as possible. Hopefully you'll have that guitar for a long time, so spend the time now to get it spot on. Good luck dude!!!

What grade wire wool have you been using. Wants to be '0000' and be aware of going across the grain.
If the maple will stand another sanding then do it, again be aware of going across the grain, wil help with colour.
I used to use 2000grit wet/dry for final sanding by hand on furniture projects,
A good quality random orbital sander for initial sanding and 500 or 600 grit w/d. Hire it for a day if you haven't got one.
And heaps of patience! May as well get it right eh?
Works for me.
Andy
PS Pics please :)
Oh, and i use a foam camping matress (the half inch thick ones that give no comfort whatsoever) on my bench to protect the wood.
They aren't expensive and last for 4-5 projects.

Edited by soopercrip