Why become a member? ×

Fuzzed up E string

Rich44

Just picked up my bass to play and whilst the A, D and G strings sound normal and quite clear, the E is highly highly fuzzed. It sounds like its been run through an effects box, i mean, it sounds really perfectly fuzzy but obviously I'd like it back to normal. Is this a pickup problem, it seems odd how dramatically changed it sounds, I haven't done anything to the bass so its odd its changed.

[quote name='andyonbass' post='512995' date='Jun 13 2009, 09:11 PM']Is it an active bass? its normally an indication that the battery is going flat. Try changing it it.
Of course, if its passive, it wont be that! :)[/quote]

Nope, its a passive I'm afraid.

[quote name='Rich44' post='513007' date='Jun 13 2009, 09:37 PM']Nope, its a passive I'm afraid.[/quote]

Check at the ends, especially at the bridge end (ie between the anchor and the saddle), to see if any of the windings have unravelled and are touching the bridge. I had this once and it gave an effect very like you describe.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='513065' date='Jun 14 2009, 12:18 AM']Check at the ends, especially at the bridge end (ie between the anchor and the saddle), to see if any of the windings have unravelled and are touching the bridge. I had this once and it gave an effect very like you describe.[/quote]

Well low and behold, just check it and the E string windings are coming off at the nut end and a little bit at the bridge! You psychic much?! :)

Should I just try to trim these now? Can't afford new strings at the mo.

[quote name='Rich44' post='513226' date='Jun 14 2009, 12:02 PM']Well low and behold, just check it and the E string windings are coming off at the nut end and a little bit at the bridge! You psychic much?! :)

Should I just try to trim these now? Can't afford new strings at the mo.[/quote]

I was lucky as I had it on a brand new string so got it replaced free of charge.
You'd have nothing to loose by trimming off the loose ends (as long as they haven't reached the playing length) Possibly a touch of super glue on it to stop it unravelling further? I really don't know if this will work, but you've probably got nothing to lose in trying.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by Count Bassy