Why become a member? ×

Wills

BottomEndian

[quote name='neepheid' post='512298' date='Jun 12 2009, 04:06 PM']Haven't made a will yet, so I guess my wife would get them.[/quote]

A spouse is entitle to a share in your estate, but is not the only person legally entitled to make a claim - the degrees of entitlement depend on relationships of consanguinity and affinity. The main point to note is, that without specific designations your estate could be liquidated and the proceeds divided - so specific items would be lost to your relations in that eventuality.

It's simple and inexpensive to make a will, and anyone of majority - over 18 - should really do so.

[quote name='pobolycwm' post='512667' date='Jun 13 2009, 09:42 AM']gonna put mine in the loft then leave the house and contents to my nephew just so he can sell it legitamately on ebay and state he found it in his late uncles loft[/quote]

That one made me laugh out loud.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' post='512715' date='Jun 13 2009, 11:57 AM']A spouse is entitle to a share in your estate, but is not the only person legally entitled to make a claim - the degrees of entitlement depend on relationships of consanguinity and affinity. The main point to note is, that without specific designations your estate could be liquidated and the proceeds divided - so specific items would be lost to your relations in that eventuality.

It's simple and inexpensive to make a will, and anyone of majority - over 18 - should really do so.[/quote]
Interesting! Thanks.

Also, thanks for a new addition to my vocabulary: [b]consanguinity[/b]. Quite a complex concept in a single word. Awesome! :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='512468' date='Jun 12 2009, 09:41 PM']I was planning to take mine with me ...[/quote]

True story - I have (had) an old Vox Fretless that is buried in a cemetary in Hertfordshire following the death of a friend's friend in a bike accident. The family appreciated it.