Why become a member? ×

New ebony fretless neck for my '71 Precision...

wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='509725' date='Jun 9 2009, 11:15 PM']Hi all

Some of you might have stumbled across [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46215&st=0"]this thread[/url] where I agonised over selling my fretless '71 P to buy a Tony Franklin P instead, as I preferred the tone of the ebony board over rosewood.

Well, I reached a decision... sell the Franklin and get a replacement ebony neck for the '71.

So, over to Howard, BC's very own Bass Doc, who sourced one from Allparts. It arrived yesterday after a couple of weeks.

I'm impressed. It's very, very nice indeed. The first thing that struck me was the HUGE slab of ebony on it... it's far thicker than I expected. Very cool. There's a 'lip' at the heel where the board overlaps the pickguard. Howard offered to remove it if I want for authenticity's sake, but I might just leave it there. It's not doing any harm.

The neck profile is FAB... standard B width, but very, very chunky front-to-back. Again, Howard could reshape it if I want but as it is it's much better suited to my strangely large hands than the much shallower Franklin.

So, Howard created a bone nut for it, swapped the hardware over and gave it a set-up. It feels so focussed, vibrant and lively compared to the rosewood... just as I hoped. It's incredibly even and there's no major dead spots. Result!

I have a couple of gigs coming up.. I'll use it then to check everything's OK, then it's going back to Bass Doc to have a lovely authentic 70s amber lacquer applied. Can't wait!

Rest assured the factory neck is now officially retired, and will be well looked after...[/quote]

that looks like heaven...so cool and ready to vibe
great upgrade and 10/10 for the bolt on brigade

[quote name='mrcrow' post='544785' date='Jul 19 2009, 05:25 PM']you are a brave man..i had dots on all the 'frets'[/quote]
That's a very good idea.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='544785' date='Jul 19 2009, 05:25 PM']and if i ever get courage enough to use a fretless it will have to be lined[/quote]
That's what I thought.

It may be what some of the audience think too but at least I'm fooling the rest of the band.

Playing fretless has made me listen differently - even with lines but even more so without them.

• 2 weeks later...