Why become a member? ×

Slap - huh?

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='511636' date='Jun 11 2009, 09:46 PM']Update...

After a few days trying it's starting to come together - a bit. I'm still very hit and miss. Mostly miss. The big problem now is that I can only practice for about 10 minutes before my shoulder gives out. I had tendonitis in my shoulder a few years ago and it wasn't funny, so I don't want to push my luck.

Basically, it's just really difficult. Oh well![/quote]

Relax....

No really, you have to have a very relaxed body to do this stuff, if you are finding a lot of tension in your shoulders its because you are tensing those muscles, which will wreck your posture, playing and give you a neck/back ache as well in the end. Not good!

This stuff just takes a while to pin down. Go very very very slowly to begin with.

Speed will come with time and hours of practice (lots of hours)

But actually getting a decent thump sound (note singular, just one thump) should be there with reasonble regularity by now I would hope....

[quote name='51m0n' post='512136' date='Jun 12 2009, 02:09 PM']Relax....

No really, you have to have a very relaxed body to do this stuff, if you are finding a lot of tension in your shoulders its because you are tensing those muscles, which will wreck your posture, playing and give you a neck/back ache as well in the end. Not good!

This stuff just takes a while to pin down. Go very very very slowly to begin with.

Speed will come with time and hours of practice (lots of hours)

But actually getting a decent thump sound (note singular, just one thump) should be there with reasonble regularity by now I would hope....[/quote]

Yeh - I'm sh*t hot on an open E :) Just the rest to conquer. I'm better than I was so I'm not complaining. I'm still squirming around like I have some neurological problem trying to get everything in the right place. The only way that's comfortable seems to have my forearm resting on the strings which doesn't work funnily enough.

Exercise for all strings 1

[font="Lucida Console"]------------------------5-5-5-5[/font]
[font="Lucida Console"]----------------5-5-5-5--------[/font]
[font="Lucida Console"]--------5-5-5-5----------------[/font]
[font="Lucida Console"]5-5-5-5------------------------[/font]
[font="Lucida Console"]T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T[/font]

Exercise for all strings 2
[font="Lucida Console"]------------5-7-5-7------------[/font]
[font="Lucida Console"]--------5-7---------5-7--------[/font]
[font="Lucida Console"]----5-7-----------------5-7----[/font]
[font="Lucida Console"]5-7-------------------------5-7[/font]
[font="Lucida Console"]T-h-T-h-T-h-T-h-T-h-T-h-T-h-T-h[/font]

Go SLOWLY and get the accuracy down. Ex 2 is a triplet feel and you can get it up to 120+ bpm in time....

Sorry font change thingy didnt work :)

Edited by 51m0n

For those bothering to try this this is another really great exercise for slappers:-

[font="Lucida Console"]Exercise for all strings 3 (Triplet feel X = muted thump, h = hammer on)
------------------5-7-X-5-7-X------------------
------------5-7-X-------------5-7-X------------
------5-7-X-------------------------5-7-X------
5-7-X-------------------------------------5-7-X
T-h-T-T-h-T-T-h-T-T-h-T-T-h-T-T-h-T-T-h-T-T-h-T[/font]

[quote name='51m0n' post='513865' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:35 AM']For those bothering to try this this is another really great exercise for slappers:-

[font="Lucida Console"]Exercise for all strings 3 (Triplet feel X = muted thump, h = hammer on)
------------------5-7-X-5-7-X------------------
------------5-7-X-------------5-7-X------------
------5-7-X-------------------------5-7-X------
5-7-X-------------------------------------5-7-X
T-h-T-T-h-T-T-h-T-T-h-T-T-h-T-T-h-T-T-h-T-T-h-T[/font][/quote]

Oh no... not the dreaded 'X'. I've never had the subtlety to do that. I'm either pressing the string through the board or my fingers are at 90 degrees to the strings - nothing in between :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='513880' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:49 AM']Oh no... not the dreaded 'X'. I've never had the subtlety to do that. I'm either pressing the string through the board or my fingers are at 90 degrees to the strings - nothing in between :)[/quote]

Its not that bad,

Just put all four fretting fingers against the strings, nice and relaxed, now thump anything (other than the wife) and you'll get a nice thonk sound (you can tell if you actually hit the wife by accident as there will be a high pitched shrieking sound followed by severe pain in your lower abdominal area...)

Doing that exercise at around 65 bpm will let you get this right. Work it up slowly. It is a triplet feel, and you should be able with time to get this up to about 140 bpm cleanly, give it a month or two though.....

Next one has left hand muted thumps in (where said LH fingers rather than relaxing over the strings come down on them with enough force to make a thump sound of their own, thus giving you effectively 2 thumbs)