Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Streamer Make up

jamieperryman

Can anyone tell me the difference between a warwick streamer stage 1 from 1996 and one produced today?

I went to sell my (1996) streamer at a local music shop and the sales staff couldn't stop drooling. They said that my bass would be considered "rare" and i should sell privately, people would lap it up becuase it was in such good condition.

Are the woods different? The finishes? etc.

Sorry for such a noob question but any information would be great. Please feel free to reply on forum or email me :))

[quote name='jamieperryman' post='53305' date='Aug 31 2007, 12:43 PM']Can anyone tell me the difference between a warwick streamer stage 1 from 1996 and one produced today?

I went to sell my (1996) streamer at a local music shop and the sales staff couldn't stop drooling. They said that my bass would be considered "rare" and i should sell privately, people would lap it up becuase it was in such good condition.

Are the woods different? The finishes? etc.

Sorry for such a noob question but any information would be great. Please feel free to reply on forum or email me :huh:)[/quote]

Stick a pic of the bass up and let's have a drool :huh:

Seriously, the woods used on Warwick Streamers varies so much that you can get absolute stunners that were just factory production jobs but look like they are Custom Shop grade. I don't wish to pee on your parade but assuming that it's a Stage I thru-neck (you'd be amazed how many people just lump all Streamer basses as Streamer Stage I's) in which case your bass isn't rare at all and there have been a whole bunch up for sale on here lately (do a quick search) and they've varied from £600 - £950 (not sure that they all sold), in fact there are a bunch for sale here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3660"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3660[/url] @ £800 and there are no takers.

The woods, finishes etc are all pretty much standard (it'll be a waxed finish, flame maple jobbie I expect) and the only ones that are particularly sought after are the very early ones (80's) or unusual/Ltd Ed models. Check out the Warwick forum if you want more info.

Of course if it is so stunning or significantly cheaper than quoted give me first refusal for being decent enough to respond to your thread :huh:

Edit

You might be disturbed to view this Streamer that just ended on eBay at 16:20 today 31-08-07... Oh how I had to sit on my hands :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Streamer-Stage-I_W0QQitemZ230165031743QQihZ013QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Streamer-Sta...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Edited by warwickhunt

Thanks very much for your feedback

It would appear the acne ridden lad in my guitar shop might have got excited over nothing then.....................(That or maybe he some medical complaint that made him drool :)

I will definitely post some picture when the Mrs gets back from her jollie in France with the camera.

I think my bass is nicer than the ones you linked, i guess i would, but it's not significantly different.

I will pot some pictures and get some honest/non biased opinions from you guys who know what they are talking about.

Thanks again

Well, both the basses warwickhunt posted were made after 2000. In 1999-2000 Warwick stopped using wenge as their standard neck wood and replaced it with ovangkol. IMO (and most people's it seems) wenge feels much better, actually it's my favourite feeling neck wood. Really satin feeling (with warwick's finish anyway). Wenge is now a custom shop option. So, although I don't know how much your SSI is worth, I would assume it's at least worth more than a newer one, especially if it's in great condition as you say. There were a few other changes as well, for example yours probably has the early brass nut as well.

Edited by Dragonlord

I didn't bother mentioning the neck woods as it is a preference thing and to some potential buyers the later model might be worth more, were that their preference! You could equally say that it was made after '95 when Warwick moved production to a new site, which is often a more significant date for some buyers, pre '95 basses are 'generally' more desirable. I didn't mention that earlier either as I've played pre and post 95 basses and I've found good and bad examples in both.

For me personally the deciding factor on its value would be to pick it up and play it! If it played and sounded good and the hardware and electrics were up to it then I'd base my valuation on that.

The Streamer Stage Is don't seem to suffer from quite the same stigma as many of the other basses in the Warwick line - the current ones aren't really that much different from the older ones. The woods are the same, the body shape is the same, I think all that's changed is that they now use MECs instead of Bartolinis, and they use CNC machines a lot more in the manufacturing. It seems different with the Stage IIs and the Thumbs, what with them abandoning wenge for the necks, changing the body shape and headstock detailing of the Thumbs, and so on... everyone seems to prefer the older ones (me included - I'd murder for a mid-90s Streamer Stage II 5er).

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='53461' date='Aug 31 2007, 04:16 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Streamer-Stage-I_W0QQitemZ230165031743QQihZ013QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Streamer-Sta...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/quote]

This is a good thread I reckon. I have often wondered myself and the bass in question^^ I was pipped by a tenner with a last minute bid. I thought at that price, even if there is a big difference between these and the pre mec ones (that is where I wanna know if there is a difference) I thought at £550 it was a steal and I wouldn't lose any cash on it!

If anyone here has had a range of SS1's I would also like to know if there is a big difference! I have played quite a lot of Warwick's and being 100% honest, they were like a holy grail when I didn't have a great bass knowledge (we all start somewhere :)). I sold a white Sub to get a Corvette $$. I actually ended up with the first Streamer $$ in the UK which is still dam expensive for what it is and while it was ok, it wasn't "all that". I have heard some Warwicks (new and old) sounding beautiful, but most of the new Warwicks I have played have been pretty terrible. I then moved onto a Sandberg after the Streamer and Delano really does hump MEC which has made me think going back to a Warwick is a real downward step......

[quote name='presoulnation' post='53961' date='Sep 1 2007, 07:03 PM']This is a good thread I reckon. I have often wondered myself and the bass in question^^ I was pipped by a tenner with a last minute bid. I thought at that price, even if there is a big difference between these and the pre mec ones (that is where I wanna know if there is a difference) I thought at £550 it was a steal and I wouldn't lose any cash on it!

If anyone here has had a range of SS1's I would also like to know if there is a big difference! I have played quite a lot of Warwick's and being 100% honest, they were like a holy grail when I didn't have a great bass knowledge (we all start somewhere :)). I sold a white Sub to get a Corvette $$. I actually ended up with the first Streamer $$ in the UK which is still dam expensive for what it is and while it was ok, it wasn't "all that". I have heard some Warwicks (new and old) sounding beautiful, but most of the new Warwicks I have played have been pretty terrible. I then moved onto a Sandberg after the Streamer and Delano really does hump MEC which has made me think going back to a Warwick is a real downward step......[/quote]

The Streamer range had a load of changes over the years and talking specifically Stage I you'll find that the important changes were with regard to;

1 piece bridge changing to the now standard 2 piece (late 80's) - down to personal preference as to which you like.
Predominantly wenge NT changing to Maple (bit later than the bridge but still late 80's) - makes a huge difference to the tone.
Volute added to the neck and date stamp moved to the rear of the headstock were also a pivotal point (early 90's) - strengthened a weakness... never known one crack.

With regard to pups; part fact part conjecture on my part but here goes! On the early Warwicks you'll find EMG, Bartolini, Seymour Duncan + one or two others depending on customer/retailer preference and I'm sure to some degree whatever was available. As Warwick production increased EMG couldn't accommodate them (rumours it may have been pressure from Spector). Along comes MEC, basically a German manufacturer who geared up to supply Warwick with all of their needs hence the change to virtually all Warwicks being spec'd with MEC unless customers requested otherwise.

The whole factory moved in 95 after which 'some' people consider the CNC machining took over big style and the basses 'may' not have been as much hand finish. Personally I don't think the basses were genuinely hand finished a great deal from '90 onward but they were still damn fine basses. I would agree that the woods did change significantly in the mid '90s, for one thing virtually every single Stage I was made from lovely AAA/AAAA flame maple! However... the woods do appear to be softer and more prone to damage! From '95 Warwick really started churning out basses and that's where the depreciation is setting in now.

Though I've never seen a NT Streamer go that cheap... ever. You do have to consider that this is potentially the worst time of year to try and sell anything as the majority of people are skint after their holidays.

Hi guys as promised here are some pics of my Bass.

[attachment=2064:100_0385.JPG]

[attachment=2065:100_0387.JPG]

[attachment=2066:100_0388.JPG]

[attachment=2067:100_0391.JPG]

[attachment=2068:100_0393.JPG]

[attachment=2069:100_0405.JPG]

[attachment=2070:100_0408.JPG]

Any guides to the kind of price i should be looking for when i sell it would be appreciated. Also would you guys know what this finish is called?

This is a long shot but i actually want to swap this bass for a quality les paul electric guitar (Standard, custom etc) so if any one knows of anyone who would be interested please let me know :)

The colour is 'Antique Tobacco' and price... the eBay Streamer was a very smart flame maple example and that went for £570, another went recently on eBay for £775, there's also one for sale on here @ £800 (though I think Chris is struggling to find someone with the folding stuff), my mate sold his Stage I in the same colour last year for £675. That kind of gives you some ball park figures but to be honest they are just numbers, it really depends on if there is someone specifically wanting a Stage I in that colour. I'm toying with the idea of selling a Stage II in black which is considerably rarer than the Stage I and I know for a fact I'm going to struggle, so I'll be holding off till later in the year.

If you want rid you may as well stick a price on it and see what happens.

Just out of interest what were the shop offering you?

Thanks for the info :)

The guys in the shop didn't offer me a price to be honest .....he said he would offer so much less than i would get privately that it would make me cry.

A guy on the Warwick forum said he thinks my bass is "flamed maple top and neck with what looks like honey violin finish".....sorry to be a "........." (fill in the blank as you see fit") but anyone else have an opinion to finish etc?

[quote name='jamieperryman' post='54365' date='Sep 2 2007, 07:46 PM']Thanks for the info :)

The guys in the shop didn't offer me a price to be honest .....he said he would offer so much less than i would get privately that it would make me cry.

A guy on the Warwick forum said he thinks my bass is "flamed maple top and neck with what looks like honey violin finish".....sorry to be a "........." (fill in the blank as you see fit") but anyone else have an opinion to finish etc?[/quote]

You don't need opinions you can see for your self in full colour... [url="http://www.warwickbass.com/colors.html"]http://www.warwickbass.com/colors.html[/url]

I wouldn't split hairs but I'd certainly say from your pics and in that light it looks a lot closer Antique Tobacco!

As for flamed maple 'top'... they are all made from solid maple, there is no veneer or slab of 'top' to it and yours does have flame but then so does 99% of the ones that I've ever seen. You'd be hard pushed to find one that isn't flame, now that would probab;y make it rare or unusual :huh: As I say refer to the other basses that have been mentioned and you'll see they've all got some degree of flame.

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='54358' date='Sep 2 2007, 07:33 PM'].........I'm toying with the idea of selling a Stage II in black which is considerably rarer than the Stage I and I know for a fact I'm going to struggle, so I'll be holding off till later in the year.[/quote]

Hi, any pic's of the black stage II? Sounds interesting!

[quote name='carlosfandango' post='54860' date='Sep 3 2007, 05:59 PM']Hi, any pic's of the black stage II? Sounds interesting![/quote]

I will but at this Stage (sic) it isn't a definite goer as I need to sort a few things out with regard to my gear :)

Not the best pics in the world and I apologise to Jamie; I'm not hijacking the thread!